[Peace-discuss] Vox clamantis in deserto

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sat Jan 10 00:06:42 CST 2009

	January 10, 2009
	Gaza Resolution One-Sided and Unwise
	by Rep. Ron Paul

[Editor's note: The following is Rep. Ron Paul's statement on H. Res. 34,
"Recognizing Israel's right to defend itself against attacks from Gaza,
reaffirming the United States' strong support for Israel, and supporting the
Israeli-Palestinian peace process."]

Madame Speaker, I strongly oppose H. Res. 34, which was rushed to the floor with
almost no prior notice and without consideration by the House Foreign Affairs
Committee. The resolution clearly takes one side in a conflict that has nothing
to do with the United States or U.S. interests. I am concerned that the weapons
currently being used by Israel against the Palestinians in Gaza are made in
America and paid for by American taxpayers. What will adopting this resolution
do to the perception of the United States in the Muslim and Arab world? What
kind of blowback might we see from this? What moral responsibility do we have
for the violence in Israel and Gaza after having provided so much military
support to one side?

As an opponent of all violence, I am appalled by the practice of lobbing
homemade rockets into Israel from Gaza. I am only grateful that, because of the
primitive nature of these weapons, there have been so few casualties among
innocent Israelis. But I am also appalled by the long-standing Israeli blockade
of Gaza – a cruel act of war – and the tremendous loss of life that has resulted
from the latest Israeli attack that started last month.

There are now an estimated 700 dead Palestinians, most of whom are civilians.
Many innocent children are among the dead. While the shooting of rockets into
Israel is inexcusable, the violent actions of some people in Gaza does not
justify killing Palestinians on this scale. Such collective punishment is
immoral. At the very least, the U.S. Congress should not be loudly proclaiming
its support for the Israeli government's actions in Gaza.

Madame Speaker, this resolution will do nothing to reduce the fighting and
bloodshed in the Middle East. The resolution in fact will lead the U.S. to
become further involved in this conflict, promising "vigorous support and
unwavering commitment to the welfare, security, and survival of Israel as a
Jewish and democratic state." Is it really in the interest of the United States
to guarantee the survival of any foreign country? I believe it would be better
to focus on the security and survival of the United States, the Constitution of
which my colleagues and I swore to defend just this week at the beginning of the
111th Congress. I urge my colleagues to reject this resolution.

http://www.antiwar.com/paul/?articleid=14027