[Peace-discuss] USA takes orders from Israel

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 13 10:42:00 CST 2009

Bravado? Are you suggesting, Carl, that Olmert is fabricating this quite
detailed storyline about how he single-handedly induced the President,
mid-lecture in Philadelphia, to overrule Rice and sabotage the
effectiveness of the UN cease-fire resolution (allowing Israel to more
easily dismiss it)? You disregard this too easily, I think. Here's another
account:

***

The Security Council resolution passed on Friday calling for an immediate
cease-fire in Gaza was a source of embarrassment for US Secretary of State
Condoleezza Rice, who helped prepare it but ultimately was ordered to back
down from voting for it and abstain, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said
Monday.

Rice did not end up voting for Resolution 1860, thanks to a phone
conversation Olmert held with US President George Bush shortly before the
vote, the prime minister told a meeting of local authority heads in
Ashkelon as part of a visit to the South.

Upon receiving word that the US was planning to vote in favor of the
resolution - viewed by Israel as impractical and failing to address its
security concerns - Olmert demanded to get Bush on the phone, and refused
to back down after being told that the president was delivering a lecture
in Philadelphia. Bush interrupted his lecture to answer Olmert's call, the
premier said.
America could not vote in favor of such a resolution, Olmert told Bush.
Soon afterwards, Rice abstained when votes were counted at the UN.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1231760642497&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull