[Peace-discuss] The Revolutiona ry Communist Party says.

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Wed Jan 14 13:38:28 CST 2009

>But what else could "free will" possibly be?  How could it NOT entail both
an inherent right and a corresponding responsibility?

I can think of two things: One thing is that "free will" could refer to just
the possible capacity to act independently, autonomously, or without any
predetermination from an outside source but without any reference to
"rights" to or "responsibilities" for exercising that capacity or
restrictions on how it is to be exercised. The second, which is more in line
with reconciling "free will" with "predetermination" but not necessarily
religious notions of the two and certainly not in line with the "negative"
concepts of freedom and liberty that permeate the English tradition of
Liberalism, would be "free will which gives individuals the rights and
obligations to act in ways that advance their self-realization which is seen
as being only possible when it advances the common good of the collective (a
view more in line with a positive conception of liberty or freedom  where
the collective's job is to remove obstacles to such actions and to force
individual members of the collective to fulfill their responsibilities to
strive for and achieve self-realization in ways that advance the common good
of the collective).

>Use common sense for a change.  Do you know anyone who does NOT possess and
exercise free will?  Even a baby.  Even a prisoner.  Even an >elderly person
with dementia.  All of them exercise some measure of free will, even if it's
just token and ultimately futile resistance to some authority >figure.
Observe them and learn.  Put your books and your esoteric theories aside for
a bit and just observe.

Don't be so damn insulting and cock sure of yourself.  For starters, I do
not use those concepts or that dichotomy in my everyday life; they are in
practice meaningless to me.  I only am using them here because others have
brought them up and used them in their discussion; and I wanted to stay
within the same language and framework  that they have selected for the
discussion so as to remain more or less on the same page for communications
purposes.  Secondly, in so far as I am using the notions and distinctions
here, it is within a rather academic discussion for purposes of the
discussion where my intent was to first to clarify some things that were
said by dialectically seeking further elaborations and details and secondly
to note some possible logical sources of confusion and contradictions that
are involved in the "free will"/"predetermination" debate both here and
which has taken place in religion and political philosophy throughout the
years.   Thirdly, I could observe them as you suggest and from my
observations come to the conclusion that they give good evidence against any
predestination or predetermination existing at all.  Fourthly, I seriously
question if random and impulsive  or reflexive behaviors  can really be or
are considered examples of "free will" since the notion seems to connote or
otherwise imply that the actors (a) are rational actors acting rationally,
(b) are engaged in conscious and deliberate actions or thoughts, and (c) are
purposefully undertaking meaningful intentional courses of action and
thought.  I do not think that most who use the concept of "free will"
consider it to cover or otherwise include unthinking reflexive and impulsive
reactions and actions, unintentional and unconscious behaviors, or
non-purposeful and meaningless responses and behaviors.

>Good grief.  It's just elemental logic.  As for liberty, you must at least
be familiar with some of the Ten Commandments.  How could God tell humans
>to do certain things, or NOT do certain things, if said humans didn't
possess the LIBERTY to exercise their FREE WILL to CHOOSE whether or not >to
obey a particular commandment?  What sense would it make?

To you it might be just elemental logic (by the way what type of logic is
elemental logic); but I do not see it that way.  While a case such as you
have made can be made;  it does presuppose that God is rational and
practical and asks sensible things of Humans so as not tell humans to do
impossible, senseless, or undesirable things or things that are known by God
to be things that Humans are not going to be willing to follow; or it
supposes that God is not rational, sensible, or practical so as to ask
humans to do things that are known by God to be predetermined in any given
case to either happen or not happen independent of any human intentions or
decisions since those intentions and decisions are also already
predetermined by God. (One could ask in response to your question, "What
sense would it make," what sense would it make to whom - humans or God?
However, either way, that is what is in question.  What are in question is
if the notion of  LIBERTY existed  then or if it is a modern concept, if the
notion of LIBERTY means or refers to the free will to choose (or more
importantly has to necessarily mean that and nothing else), and if said
liberty is an intrinsic RIGHT and OBLIGATION as you have claimed elsewhere
in which case it may not be optional or voluntary but predestined and
without freedom to choose.

I am also familiar with the fact that the story of the Ten Commandments is a
product of humans ( and even if based on fact, it is an interpretive
construct interpreted and written by scribes, scholars, clergy, and
historians) with no empirical evidence that the commandments or the stone
tablet came directly from God and not from man or originally said what is
ascribed to it by humans whose story we hear and read about in the Bible or
in scrolls.

>To me your reasoning is sometimes like wanting to argue about whether a
chair, for example,  actually exists, or whether we just THINK it exists, or
>some convoluted variation on that theme.  Just sit on it, for God's sake.
If it supports your weight, it exists.  That's all you need to know.  (Even
if >collapses under your weight and you fall on your ass, as occasionally
happens to me, it exists.  Hahahaha!)

That sort of positivism and empiricism is both over simplistic and an
argument that could be used equally well to deny the existence of God who
humans do not directly see or experience as such in a concrete empirical
substantive form but rather assume as an article of faith to behind the
things we attribute as being manifestations of God.  What makes your
positivist empiricist article of faith truer, better, or stronger than my
article of faith that it may all be the product of either  individual
thought and perception of individuals in terms of private personal
experiences of phenomenon as real concrete things or intersubjective thought
and perception of individuals engaged in social interaction and
communications in terms of public socially constructed conceptually defined
socially shared experience and social reality?  Unfortunately, I find that
the dogmatic commitment to the truth of one's articles of faith such as what
one experiences as a real concrete experience are and can only be a real and
concrete experience and not an illusion, an hallucination, or a product of
human cognition, perception, and social communications is often the same
sort of dogmatic belief structure that results in racism, ethnic predjudice,
sexism, religious fanaticism, narrow mindedness, wars, and the like.

>As for the "pursuit of happiness", there are numerous references in the
Bible - and I'm sure in other so-called holy books as well - to "joy", to
"inner >peace", to "living the abundant life", etc.  Those are all just
synonyms for happiness.  There's no need to over-analyze it.

But it is you who are stating (and maybe insisting) that those things are
identical to or synonymous with the "pursuit of happiness."  I am open to
the possibility that they are not and may refer to something quite different
from what gets associated with the "pursuit of happiness" of "happiness."
Even the notion of the "pursuit of happiness" depends on its meaning on who
is using it  and in what context.  For many, it means "the acquisition of
material goods," tangible physical experiences and actions, or empirical
concrete pleasures in contrast to pain. Others think and feel it refers to
spiritual experiences and feelings, to psychological contentment as distinct
from pleasure, joy, or excitement.  There is no need to over-simplify it or
dismiss the complexities as being over-analysis as if over-analysis is an
inherently bad undertaking without any benefits.

I am not finding the continuation of this discussion to be very productive.
While I know that I said I made my comments with the intent of provoking
discussion, I do not think that circular arguments based on the constant
presentation of articles of faith, truths by definition, and tautologies to
be very fruitful.  I am not going to waste my time responding to the
dismissal of arguments with statements that it is elemental logic, it is
over-analysis, it is obvious, that it does not matter, or expressions like
that.   When I note that in the history of political philosophy there have
been two very different philosophical traditions regarding the meaning and
notion of "liberty" and "freedom" as concepts, or that there has been
contradictions in the history of political thought over the status of
predetermination and free will, or that ideas of  "Natural Law" and "Divine
Right" are not unproblematic within the history of political philosophy or
theory, I find it unacceptable to be told that these are silly or frivolous
disputes or the points of opposition are not legitimate  arguments worthy of
bringing up or attending to .

I am also not particularly fond of people assuming that I know what they
think or say I know or should know even if I tell them the opposite, of
being told that I am being wrong-headed or academic when I raise
intellectual, theoretical, analytic, or abstract arguments that are not
commonly accepted by those I am engaging in the discussion with.  So I think
it best that I end this now.