[Peace-discuss] Statements to Obama and the 111th Congress

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 18 15:33:20 CST 2009

Karen has done us a service by drawing together these statements, which of
course include a lot of important points.  But, when they're juxtaposed like
this, they seem to reveal how successful the co-option of the antiwar movement
has been.

The new administration is expanding the killing in what they call "the central
front of the war on terrorism" -- Afghanistan.  These statements however imply
that the war on Afghanistan is at least to some extent justified, and not what
it in fact is, an example of the "supreme international crime" (i.e., worse than
terrorism), an aggressive war.

Thus the first statement omits any mention of "the central front"; the second
implies that a "decision to escalate military force in Afghanistan" might be
appropriate; and the last asks the USG merely to "establish real diplomacy in
Afghanistan." (Would Germany be asked to "establish real diplomacy in Poland" in
1939?)

The antiwar movement should be demanding that the US end its war in Afghanistan;
pay reparations through the UN or other international agency; and prosecute
those US officials responsible for this illegal war.  That should be part of the
general demand that the US end its war for control of energy resources in SW
Asia and remove its troops (and NATO troops) from the region.  --CGE