[Announce] [Peace-discuss] Another perspective on Sheriff Joe Arapaio

Neil Parthun lennybrucefan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 12:32:45 CST 2009

Sheriff Joe is obnoxious and grandstanding.  I mean, he just got a
new show on Fox Reality network called "Smile, You're Under Arrest"
to further put himself in the media limelight.

 From In These Times, "The Selma of Immigration Rights" about Sheriff
Joe.  http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/3973/
the_selma_of_immigration_rights/

 From Wikipedia on Sheriff Joe: From 2004 through November 2007,
Arpaio was the target of 2,150 lawsuits in U.S. District Court and
hundreds more in Maricopa County courts; 50 times as many prison-
conditions lawsuits as the New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and
Houston jail systems combined.  The County has had to spend more than
$43 million in lawsuit settlements during Arpaio's tenure.

In her book on prison policy The Use of Force by Detention Officers,
Arizona State University criminal justice professor Marie L. Griffin
reported on a 1998 study commissioned by Arpaio to examine recidivism
rates based on conditions of confinement. Comparing recidivism rates
under Arpaio to those under his predecessor, the study found "there
was no significant difference in recidivism observed between those
offenders released in 1989-1990 and those released in 1994-1995."

While I commend Sheriff Joe's animal adoption program, even a broken
clock can be right twice a day.

Live hard,
      Neil

We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear — fear of
poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or
fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for
bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp
on vague charges of being a terrorist sympathizer.
[hunter s. thompson, 1937-2005]

Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil
obedience...Our problem is that people are obedient all over the
world in the face of poverty and starvation and stupidity, and war,
and cruelty.
[howard zinn, 1922-]