[Peace-discuss] Fw: Obama Back-pedals on Employee Free Choice Act

unionyes unionyes at ameritech.net
Tue Jan 20 17:48:48 CST 2009

Well John,

Obviously you are not aware of many importent facts in regards to the EFCA and what the reality has been for the last several decades, and in particular the last eight years for workers in this country who want to belong to a Union.

To begin with, the United States is the ONLY industrialized country in the world that does NOT have a " card check " system, which is what the EFCA is.
And that is why are Unionization rates are so low, our income disparities are so extreme, U.S. corporate profits at obscene levels, and why employers can almost get away with murder in regards to how their employees are treated in this country.

The current system of U.S. Labor law, NLRB elections, makes unionizing extremely difficult, in that employers can delay the election for up to two years and in the meantime bring in union busting law firms who systematicaly identify key union supporters amongst the employees and then find execuses to fire or lay them off. Then they go to work on the other employees and through a process of intimidation and threats of them losing their jobs, they are frightened into voting against having Union representation.
What fines the employers receive for the breaking the law in terms of the acts of intimidation are pathetic, a slap on the wrist, and hence from their perspective, well worth it.

With a card check system ( EFCA ), when 50 % plus one employee signs a Union certifrication card, the Union immediately and automatically becomes the bargaining representative of ALL the employees, done deal ! There is nothing the employer can do about it except bargain in good faith with the Union. Employees who do not want to join the Union do not have to, but they do have to pay about 50 % of the normal dues rate, since they benefit from the Union contract's benefits, wage rates, etc..
The EFCA would also stiffen the fines against employers who violate the law.

John, you are an intelligent man who is well informed, don't believe the corporate propoganda.

The " old Union paradigm " is as relevant and needed now more then ever.
Remember that it was during the midst of the Great Depression that Unionization rates soared in this country. So don't try and sell me this absurd corporate propoganda.

David J.