[Peace-discuss] EFCA, Nursing Home at County Brd this Thursday!

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 20 19:31:51 CST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 04:11:29PM -0800, Ricky Baldwin wrote:
> Come support the Employee Free Choice Act!
> And the County Nursing Home!
>
> County Board meeting
> This Thursday January 22
> 7:00 PM
> Brookens, Urbana
>
> Carol Ammons will be introducing a resolution in support of
> the Employee Free Choice Act.  The resolution
> is an uphill battle with this County Board, which is also considering a measure which
> critics say may be a further move towards privatization of the County Nursing Home.
>
> The Nursing Home measure removes oversight authority from
> the current Socal Service and Justice Committee, effectively further centralizing
> the pro-privatization leadership’s control over the situation.

Cool.

I thought one of the reasons that Board members mentioned for needing to bring
in MPA to run the nursing home, was that oversight by the full County Board
was ineffective -- it's too large and unwieldy a group for that,
with too many other matters to consider.

So the proposal now is to leave the full County Board as the *only*
public mechanism of oversight, nominally, even though it was previously
called ineffective at doing just that?  If I'm understanding this right,
that could be an objection to make.

Anyway I will aim to be there and try to say something like this.