[Peace-discuss] no green light?

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 21 08:30:27 CST 2009

" Olmert said he had considered allowing the army to continue the attack
as GOC Southern Command Maj. Gen Yoav Gallant had sought, but felt this
would have required a period of time 'for which we did not a sufficient
diplomatic window.' "

Again, I suspect the likely chain of events here is that:

1. Israel will continue their blockade, allowing only marginal and very
restricted cargo through.

2. Largely as a result, as a cause-and-effect reality, Hamas (and/or maybe
others) will resume firing rockets at Israel.

3. Israel will respond with overwhelmingly disproportionate and
indiscriminate violence as already demonstrated ("Foreign Affairs and
Defense Committee Chairman Tzachi Hanegbi told Army Radio. "If the
[rocket] fire resumes, we will respond with force so strong and
overpowering, they will miss the day the Israel Air Force's offensive
began." This from the same article above.

4. We wind up with a decisive, empirical litmus test of Obama's foreign
policy "change".