[Peace-discuss] WHAT accounts for the US' mindless support for Israel???

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 22 22:15:29 CST 2009

No one who has read any of Chomsky on the Middle East can possibly think that
Chomsky "shields and tends to exonerate Israel."  Start with his recent book
with Gilbert Achcar, "Perilous Power"; go on to his recently re-issued "Fateful
Triangle: The United States, Israel, and the Palestinians," among many others.

He does think that the government of Israel commits its crimes only with the
permission and support of the US, and so we as Americans should be directing our
protests to the US government and corporations, the framers of the "national
interest."  That seems right to me.

Unfortunately, for many who see themselves as on the left in the US, if you can
exonerate the US and make it look like the problem is the Jews, you don't have
to come into direct confrontation with real power (especially in Democratic
administrations).

And it's important to remember that the most influential pro-Israel lobby in the
US is not AIPAC: it's American liberal intellectuals.  See, e.g., the New York
Times.  --CGE