[Peace-discuss] Obama gets another one right

Neil Parthun lennybrucefan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 21:25:19 CST 2009

I concur.  In states where the stigma of abortion is lessened with
more liberal laws, there are low abortion rates.  If students are
taught the risk/benefit analysis of sexual activity and different
protection measures, they can better prepare themselves to minimize
potential unwanted pregnancies before they even occur.  I wonder how
much of the rise in abortion has come from the fervent "abstinence
only" education being shoved down peoples' throats while getting rid
of educational measures to protect people that choose to engage in
sexual activity.

Given this topic, I went back to something I wrote when I was working
for a local newspaper in 2005-2006 and I sent this to another
columnist who suggested that it was great that banning abortion would
be wonderful.

Mere prohibition has not worked in the past (when abortion was
illegal, alcohol, the war on drugs, etc.) and still will not work
today.  Making abortion illegal will simply mean that the women
wealthy enough to go to a place where it is legal will still get
their abortions and those who can't will go towards unsafe means to
procure
them (i.e. back-alley coathanger shops)

If you truly want an abortion free country, then let's educate the
people and actually take care of the urban poor.  Instead of cutting
poverty rolls, cutting aid to the poor with Medicaid, instead of
outsourcing good paying jobs to 3rd world developing countries
because it is cheaper leaving only minimum wage low skill jobs that
make it
nearly impossible to raise a family, instead of cutting Pell grants
and educational grants that make it easier for youths to get
financial aid, instead of believing that it is somehow moral to send
soldiers off to die for Middle Eastern oil supplies, instead of
cutting funds to schools and having property taxes as the primary
funds of schools
which creates a perpetual system of educational inequality, instead
of believing that it is somehow moral to execute a prisoner, instead
of having a system of racial profiling that creates a society where
there are more black men in prison than in college, instead of
stepping over the homeless and not truly helping...Instead of turning
a blind eye to the underclass working poor of America by telling them
to pull themselves up by their bootstraps when they have no boots to
speak of -- take care of these people.  If people have the money,
time and can take care of their children, they will.

Live hard,
      Neil

We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear — fear of
poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or
fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for
bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp
on vague charges of being a terrorist sympathizer.
[hunter s. thompson, 1937-2005]

Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil
obedience...Our problem is that people are obedient all over the
world in the face of poverty and starvation and stupidity, and war,
and cruelty.
[howard zinn, 1922-]