[Peace-discuss] The Mideast's One-State Solution

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 13:09:16 CST 2009

"A two-state solution will create an unacceptable security threat to
Israel. An armed Arab state, presumably in the West Bank, would give
Israel less than 10 miles of strategic depth at its narrowest point."

Now the right-wing in Israel can say, "even Qaddafi agrees with us."
These are right-wing talking points.

"It is a fact that Palestinians inhabited the land and owned farms and
homes there until recently, fleeing in fear of violence at the hands
of Jews after 1948 - violence that did not occur, but rumors of which
led to a mass exodus. It is important to note that the Jews did not
forcibly expel Palestinians. They were never "un-welcomed.""

It's breathtaking that Qaddafi is so ignorant. Has he never heard of
Deir Yassin? Violence did occur; many Palestinians were expelled; and
while "rumor" no doubt played a role in the exodus, the exodus was
deliberately encouraged, sometimes forcibly, by Israeli leaders. What
a moron.

"Assimilation is already a fact of life in Israel. There are more than
1 million Muslim Arabs in Israel; they possess Israeli nationality and
take part in political life with the Jews, forming political parties.
On the other side, there are Israeli settlements in the West Bank.
Israeli factories depend on Palestinian labor, and goods and services
are exchanged. This successful assimilation can be a model for
Isratine."

Should the presence of Israeli settlements in the West Bank, under
conditions of apartheid, be considered evidence of "assimilation"?
Again, this is breathtaking.

If I were a one-stater, I would not want this buffoon making my case.