[Peace-discuss] The Mideast's One-State Solution

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Mon Jan 26 17:30:49 CST 2009

David,

First, as far as I can tell, this article came via Truthout as taken from
The International Herald Tribune and not the NYT.  The mis-attribution is
not a big deal; but I did want to make the source clear.

Second,  I cannot and will not speak to any papers choice to publish or not
to publish any specific article in terms of trying to determine their
specific motivations based on the little information that I have at hand. As
I noted, I found it interesting (and I should also have said surprising) in
its tone, content, and author.  I did not suggest anything by way of it's
authenticity (did he really say that in the way it was written or is this
the work of an interpreter and editor?), its historical accuracy, Qaddafi's
motivation for writing or saying what was written or said or what he thought
he would accomplish by putting his name on such a piece (independent of  the
newspapers motivations for publishing it), or what part the various actors
behind the scene enticed him to put his name to an article of this sort or
for what purpose let alone sought to promote its publication.  Nor did I
think that it was to be taken as a serious article or one whose suggestions
were realistic in the short run (I have no way of speculating about the long
run).  Hence my remarks: "Is it the author speaking, the US speaking, or the
syphilis speaking? "  For all I know, the US and/or Israel might have
offered him something as an incentive to get him to make such a statement in
order to (a) doom any future peace talks, solutions, or ceasefires by
inflaming the Arab and Palestinian street, (b) undermine or doom to failure
any one state solutions by suggesting that  this is what the Palestinians
want for ulterior motives since they think that they can get complete
control over such a state by virtue of demographics , or (c) isolate and
alienate Qadddaffi from other Arabs and Muslims so as to make him more
dependent on the US and Israel and make his country's resources more
accessible to the US and Israel.

Thirdly, if it actually is Qaddafi's article, given when and where it is
published, I have to wonder why he is only now making these remarks public
and to what audience he is directing them to as well as why he is addressing
that audience.

>I don't know the basis for saying that the Palestinians would not be
willing to negotiate such a settlement if it secured their rights.

Is this directed toward something that I said or something in the Qaddafi
article?  If it is addressing my remark ".but I doubt if either side really
wants it or will ever want it in the foreseeable future", I can only say
that I think that the people on the street bring too much baggage, mistrust,
and animosity to the table to be willing to make the hard compromises that
will be necessary from both sides.   With respect to the Palestinians, they
- like the American Indians - have experienced too many broken treaties from
forked- tongued antagonists and their so-called even-handed honest broker
friends like the US and some Western European countries and leaders without
the guaranteeing international agencies being effective in enforcing
negotiated settlements, treaties, and resolutions.