FW: [Peace-discuss] Obama gets another one right

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Thu Jan 29 11:22:50 CST 2009

I, for one, thought it was an excellent response even in it alleged
abbreviated form. I am happy that he did not wait until he had more time to
construct a full reply.  If he did, he may not have gotten around to sharing
his thoughts with us at all and we will have missed some significant nuggets
of wisdom.  Also his arguments and points would probably not get any more
poignant  but might get too embedded in elaboration so as to lose their
sharp cutting edge.

I personally do not think that anyone objects to anyone else having morals,
ethics, or even religious beliefs that they abide by personally; it is when
those morals, ethics, and religious beliefs entail as intrinsic
prescriptions that they apply to everyone whether or not the others agree
with them and when those who are true believers insist on promoting them or
otherwise attempt t o convert others against their will by insisting on
public policies and their enforcement which make practices that are contrary
to said ethics, morality, and religious beliefs illegal and sanctioned
offenses.  To be entirely neutral, tolerant, and fair to all, it would seem
that they would insist on public policy and its enforcement not say anything
or do anything one way or the other with respect to say ethical, moral, or
religious prescriptions; but we know that this would be impractical.  Thus,
I would propose that the error be on the side of those laws which  allow the
individual actors their personal options to follow or not follow the
prescriptions in accordance with their beliefs, needs, and situations.

The  central problem with issues like abortion is that the advocates of each
of the various sides of the argument have no consensus on (1) when life
begins, (2) why human beings are any more valued than other life forms such
that their lives are to be protected while other life forms can be killed
for all kinds of reasons -scientific, legal, political, economic,
entertainment, human survival, etc.), (3) who should make the judgment calls
and decisions as when and how definitions are to be applied and rules
enforced or when there is or should be an exception to the rule, and (4) why
one set of beliefs that stem from one culture should take preference over
alternative sets of beliefs that may hold sway in other cultures?  I am not
even going to get into the debate over if it is a moral issue or a privacy
issue, an individual's right to control their own body or the collectives
right to insure its survival by being fruitful and multiplying, or any of
the assorted other associated issues.  Without consensus on the resolution
of said issues, it all boils down to "might makes right" where those with
the most power and numbers gets to dominate the minorities and enforce their
beliefs on them (all the moral, ethical, and religious reasoning behind such
moves becomes mere justification and legitimating excuses for the use of
power, force, authority, and demographics by one group over the others.