[Peace-discuss] Fw: [Prairiegreens-org] University Referendum?

unionyes unionyes at ameritech.net
Fri Jan 30 06:53:12 CST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: Walter Pituc
To: campusgreenscore ; PG List
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 6:19 AM
Subject: [Prairiegreens-org] University Referendum?

Im assuming y'all received an email from the University about the student election. We should consider putting a question on the ballot for one of our issues such as Sweatshop free clothing, some sort of sustainability, labor issue like job cuts, budget cuts (like the tuition waiver), some sort of electoral reform such as Instant Runoff Voting or Single Transferable Vote, or a recall mechanism for student elected position. The signature reuquire ment is pretty high in my opinion, especially for a group like ours.

 See below:

In accordance with the Illinois Student Senate Constitution, a referendum
may be placed on the ballot for a general student body vote by 1) receiving
a two-thirds vote of the ISS and the signed support of 5% of the student
body; or 2) receiving the signed support of 7% of the student body.  All
referenda questions and signatures shall be submitted to the Student
Election Commission for verification.  Further information is available in
the Election Packet.

All election packets and referenda materials must be submitted by 5 p.m.,
Tuesday, February 17, 2009 to the Illini Union Main Desk (Room 129 at the
Illini Union).

-Walter