[Peace-discuss] Re: Obama on "War on Terror"

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 30 23:05:38 CST 2009

Comparisons between Vietnam and AfPak have come thick and fast since Obama's
(really Clinton's) Man on the Scene, Richard Holbrooke, said (in the journal
Foreign Policy last fall) that "Americans should be told the truth: [the war in
Afghanistan] will last a long time -- longer than the United States' longest war
to date, the 14-year conflict (1961-75) in Vietnam."

We should be careful of those comparisons. The situations are quite different.
For one thing, SW Asia (because of energy resources) is far more important to
the USG than SE Asia ever was -- and so far we've only killed in the former a
fraction of the number of people we killed in the latter. Our leaders think
there's a huge upside to the deaths we can cause.

Nevertheless the comparisons are instructive, if we get the history right.
E.g., remember that the SE Asia war was against SOUTH Vietnam -- we dropped
roughly three time the ordnance there that we did in the North (several times
what was used in all of WWII).  And why? Because the South Vietnamese didn't
have the good grace to accept the government that we'd picked out for them.

So we destroyed their country (and hence won the war, even if we didn't achieve
our maximum war aims).  This generation should take the lesson.  (E.g., Hamid
Karzai looks a lot like Ngo Dinh Diem to me; look him up if you're not as old as
I.)  --CGE