Re: [Peace-discuss] Sous les pavés, la plage?

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 23:12:34 CST 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:39 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at uiuc.edu> wrote:

Difficult question.  The first premier of the People's Republic of China in
> the 1950s, Zhou Enlai, when asked his opinion of the 1789 French Revolution,
> is supposed to have said, "It's too soon to tell."
>
> I think the traditional Just War theory (jus ad bellum, jus in bello: see <
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_war>) is correct, understood to mean
> that an oppressed or invaded people may take up arms under some conditions.
> (But, e.g., the US demand for unconditional surrender in WWII was clearly
> unjust.)
>
> I doubt your question can be answered in the abstract.  As a practical
> matter, in dealing with angry people in the streets, unless overcome by
> hypocrisy I would hope to have belonged to the anti-war party in Boston in
> 1775, in Paris in 1789 (at least to the extent Tom Paine was), in Washington
> in 1860, etc.
>
> The only congressional representative to vote against US entry into both
> World War I and World War II, Jeannette Rankin (1880-1973) of Montana, asked
> at the end of her life if she had any regrets, said, "I wish I'd been
> nastier." She meant in opposition to war, and that may imply that angry
> people should be in the streets. --CGE

But in this case the People's ire seems to be directed toward the world's
economic woes rather than toward war or its elimination.  It's still a
difficult question, of course, but I'm not sure that the GOVERNMENTS of our
world know what to do - or are willing to do what may be the "right" thing
to do - in order to alleviate the People's economic concerns.

John again