[Peace-discuss] Re: [Announce] [Peace] Fwd: [stop] ACTION ALERT: Arraignment for Mark Nepermann Tomorrow

carbenmommy at yahoo.com carbenmommy at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 6 16:49:52 CDT 2009

Yes, I know.  Money does make the world go around...  ...but it isn't just because of money that the U of I has kept "Chief Illiniwek" around for so long.  They had to phase him out.  Like anything else, people can become obsessive about a mascot.  We would do well to remember that the BOT of 1960 was the entity that published the book The Galvanized Yankees, a book that lauds the efforts of the Union Army for starting the westward expansion at the cost of the lives of Native Americans, Germans, Irish and Confederate Soldiers who traded their freedom to fight the Union Army's cause.  I highly recommend that you all read the book The Galvanized Yankees by Dee Alexander Brown (also known as D. Brown, Dee Brown and I think Alexander Brown), look up the police stats throughout the 1960-2006 of the U of I and Champaign-Urbana, IL and notice alcohol related and violence related misdemeanors and felons being committed and by whom.  I would also do the
 research on how many students dropped out of the U of I for poor grades, fits of violence etc. and being suspended or otherwise dismissed from the U of I.  I would also check the above stats during "Unofficial St. Patrick's Day."  Once again, I give the following posting about Julia Reitz, who, unfortunately is keeping her word concerning misdemeanors and felons.  I am only speculating that the dumb blond is only down playing the severity of the crimes being committed to down play the criminal activity of "white, male offenders."  After all, its not Julia Reitz fault she is one-sided now is it?

Q)  Julia Reitz, what is the new misdemeanor equivalent to Rape, is it Sexual Mayhem?  If so and if you are ever raped, should we just chalk up the incidence to sexual mayhem?

Wake Up World Before Its Too Late,

Nora E. Whipple

Go to Previous message | Go to Next message | Back to Messages

ReplyReply All
Move...Inbox

 Flag this message

Re: Another Clout Story at Clout U. (U of IL)
Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:54 PM

"carbenmommy at yahoo.com" <carbenmommy at yahoo.com>View contact details

To:
SayNOtoMascots at yahoogroups.com

Ahh...  As much as I hate to admit to this, Julia Reitz is keeping her word, not that I agree with her, but she is keeping her word in regard to misdemeanors.  Perhaps WE should make sure she sees the follow writing I have posted regarding the U of I and Kent State.  The writing is after the minutes of the Steering Committee's meeting of the American Civil Liberties Union.

NEW

AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION

of Champaign County

Steering Committee

March 1, 2007

Present: Bill Brown, Roger Clark, Susan Cohen, Ward Henson, Esther Patt, Gary Peters, Richard Schnuer, Ben Grosser, Stephen Portnoy, Carol Spindel, Marsha Woodbury, Mary Cory, Stan Levy, Paul Wisovaty

Absent with notice:  Alan Levy, Rachael Dietkus, Shirley Stillinger

Guest: Julia Reitz, Champaign County State's Attorney.

The meeting was called to order by the acting chair, Susan Cohen, at 7:35 p.m. Introductions were made around the table and the minutes were approved as distributed.

Julia Reitz's Presentation

State's Attorney Julia Reitz gave her presentation before general business. She spoke for over an hour about her running of the State's Attorney office. Some of the interesting points made were that out of  the 102 State's Attorneys in Illinois, only 7 are women. Locally in Champaign Country the office has 22 attorneys and 48 staff altogether.  There are 12 police agencies in the county.

The office only prosecutes State crimes, with over 2000 felonies and 1800 misdemeanors filed last year. They also oversee Juvenile Justice and Illinois traffic cases.  The changes in Illinois law regarding DUI and driving without car insurance have increased the felony cases related to traffic offenses.

Her goal is to reduce the number of felonies filed and increase the number of misdemeanors. She mentioned "station adjustments" that are alternatives to prosecutions and involve things like having violators do public service. These programs are at the discretion of the police agency.

She also mentioned that truancy has become a large problem, and largest group of truants are African American girls.

Another issue that is of interest to the ACLU is changing the age for the "Adult" label.  Currently the age is 17, but there is a movement to have the age moved to 18.  She reviewed both sides of the debate,
and finished her presentation at 9:00 p.m.

Annual Meeting:

The Annual meeting will be on April 22, 207, at the Great Impasta, starting at 11:30 a.m. Gary Isaacs is the speaker.

The price is $25, and $15 for students/low income. The only award we will present is the Chalmers Award to Sandra Ahten.

Newsletter:

The deadline for newsletter articles is March 10, and we can help with labeling during the last week in March.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:20 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Marsha Woodbury

NEXT MEETING: April 5, 2007, at 7:30 p.m.

Go to Previous message | Go to Next message | Back to Search Results

ReplyReply All

Move...Inbox
#yiv2087018196 #top_move1688992754, #yiv2087018196 #top_move_select1688992754,
#yiv2087018196 #1688992754top_reply, #yiv2087018196 #1688992754top_reply_all {visibility:visible;}

 Flag this message

Response to Chief Bearskin's Interview
Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:43 AM

"Nora Whipple" <carbenmommy at yahoo.com>View contact details

To:
ldavis at spfldcol.edu

Laurel:

Perhaps the following email that I posted to the Say NO to Mascots site will clarify why Chief Bearskin is in favor of Native American imagery being used in schools.  Please also keep the following prophecy in mind when reading the posting:  "There will be a devil in the form of a white man and he will kill those he loves and then the Earth will return to those it belongs to."  By using stereotypical Native American imagery, those people are identifying themselves in the way that people do when wearing arm bands adorn with swastikas.  It is becuase of the US Constitution, Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence that we must be politically correct in how we treat one another.  A person can be racist.  A person can even hate another person, but a person cannot allow their racial hate towards another person or a group of people to take a way their Right to Life through any type of errosion.  This is why we have laws
 concerning stalking, murder, harrassment, aggrivated assult and manslaughter.  It is also why people need to watch their own children play in a sandbox more often to see wether or not their is a future fellow developing to readjust their thinking and actions so that they can safely protect themselves and stand up for themselves when needed and to stop incorporating the task "Jesus" undertook into their own lives to remain vicitmized by those in their communities.  People need to remember that "Jesus" did get angry and did use brute force in retaliation against those who broke "GOD's" sanctions.  A lot of people forget about the moneychangers who held market in the temple/churches for selfish gain and that "Jesus" cracked the wip towards the animals and knocked over tables while stating, "Not in my father's house!"

Here Is to Hoping I Have Cleared Some Confusion,

Nora E. Whipple