[Peace-discuss] Honduran Military: "We Won't Take Orders from a Leftist"

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Jul 6 21:16:35 CDT 2009

Alex Cockburn writes, it seems to me correctly, that

"The US government has admitted that officials had been in touch with the
conspirators in the run-up to the coup, and also makes the preposterous claim
that it was seeking to head off any coup. This is as absurd as Henry II claiming
he tried to talk his knights out of killing Thomas Becket and that what he
really said was, 'Do not rid of me of this meddlesome priest,' and it somehow
got garbled and came out as, 'Who will rid me of this meddlesome priest?'

"We can take it as an absolute certainly that CIA and Pentagon advisors were at
the elbows of the Honduran plotters, giving the green light and barely bothering
to maintain deniability, and that Obama and Mrs Clinton had been fully briefed.
  The coup was modeled on the initial stages of the attempted ouster of Chavez in
2002, before popular resistance put Chavez back in power. Earlier versions of
the script are profuse in the archives of the School of the Americas."