[Peace-discuss] Fw: [cchcc-l] TAKE ACTION on the 5th & Hill Neighborhood Rights Campaign!

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 13 23:49:35 CDT 2009

Fyi...
 --Jenifer

--- On Mon, 7/13/09, Allison Jones <allison at healthcareconsumers.org> wrote:

From: Allison Jones <allison at healthcareconsumers.org>
Subject: [cchcc-l] TAKE ACTION on the 5th & Hill Neighborhood Rights Campaign!
To: cchcc-l at lists.shout.net
Date: Monday, July 13, 2009, 9:59 AM

Dear Friends,

I am writing to you on behalf of the 5th & Hill Neighborhood Rights Campaign
to ask for your participation and financial support for this very important
local environmental justice campaign.

Please take action today and help call on the City of Champaign to repeal a
dangerous groundwater ordinance that allows Ameren and other companies to
leave toxic contaminated groundwater in place.

You can also help by making a financial contribution to this Campaign. CCHCC
is working hard to find grant funding to help support this Campaign, but
currently, and for the past year and a half, CCHCC has supported the
Campaign out of our general operating budget, and the financial strain is
getting tougher and this promises to be a long-range organizing effort. To
make a contribution, please go to:
http://www.healthcareconsumers.org/index.php?action=Donation

Please read on for more information, and I hope you will take action today!

*********************
BRIEF OVERVIEW OF 5TH & HILL NEIGHBORHOOD RIGHTS CAMPAIGN:

"We all need to get involved because of the young people coming up. Who
knows how these toxic chemicals might be affecting them?  This is our
neighborhood and we need to get it cleaned up. And it's not just about the
people who live here now - if you used to stay here before, your family
might be affected, too. We need to reach everyone who has stayed in this
neighborhood to get together and speak out to get this site cleaned up all
the way." - Mr. M. D. Pelmore, 5th & Hill resident

Champaign County Health Care Consumers (CCHCC) is working with the residents
and former residents of Champaign's 5th & Hill neighborhood to take on this
"David and Goliath" struggle to force AmerenIP to fully clean up its toxic
waste that is in the soil and groundwater throughout the 5th & Hill
neighborhood.

Ms. Betty Hobbs, a 5th & Hill resident, says that "AmerenIP and the IL EPA
have been knowing about this for a long time and they never told us about
it, even though we were living right on top of their toxic waste. They
thought the lion was going to sleep forever. But now that we know about
this, we're not gonna stop until we get to the bottom of this!"

The 5th & Hill Neighborhood Rights Campaign is an intense and long-term
campaign with many struggles along the way. Perhaps the most urgent struggle
right now, however, is the fight to repeal a City of Champaign ordinance
that lets AmerenIP leave toxic groundwater in place - groundwater that may
be spreading into the residents' homes and into the Boneyard Creek flowing
through many different communities (see the TAKE ACTION section below).

To read a full description of the Campaign and learn more, you can go to:
http://www.healthcareconsumers.org/index.php?action=Display%20Page&id=699

*****************
TAKE ACTION ON CITY'S GROUNDWATER ORDINANCE:

The 5th & Hill Neighborhood Rights Campaign is calling on the Champaign City
Council to protect the health and safety of its residents by repealing or
amending the groundwater ordinance to ensure that AmerenIP fully cleans up
the contaminated soil and groundwater.

The link below takes you to a CCHCC webpage that explains the groundwater
ordinance and why it poses a threat to ALL City of Champaign residents. At
the bottom of that page, you can add your name to the petition calling for
the repeal or amendment of the ordinance:
http://www.healthcareconsumers.org/index.php?action=Display%20Page&id=700

*********************
OTHER WAYS YOU CAN HELP:

Please help support the 5th & Hill Neighborhood Rights Campaign! You can
sign the petition to call for the repeal of the City's groundwater
ordinance, order Yard Signs to show your support, make a contribution, and
take other actions to help out!

Visit our website to learn more:
http://www.healthcareconsumers.org/index.php?action=Display%20Page&id=699

Or make a donation to support this important campaign today!
http://www.healthcareconsumers.org/index.php?action=Donation

Sincerely,

Claudia Lennhoff, CCHCC Executive Director

Champaign County Health Care Consumers
44 E. Main Street  Suite 208
Champaign, IL 61820

Phone: (217) 352-6533