[Peace-discuss] Champaign Council tonight

Belden Fields a-fields at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 14 13:04:02 CDT 2009

Dear All,

I am encouraging you to attend the meeting of the Champaign City
Council tonight at 7.  It will be a relatively short formal meeting,
and then a session when the community can speak.

I am going to speak about the intimidation that the Tent Community
has been subjected to by the Champaign police.  It is not something
that can be tolerated by the community.  I got a call at around 10 pm
on Sunday that there was a huge police presence in the neighbor's
yard that was intimidating to both the Tent City and the Catholic
Workers House.  When Jane and I arrived there were at least 4 (soon
to become 5) police cars parked very near and in clear view of the
Safe Haven Tent City.  As punishment for my showing up and being seen
with the Tent and Catholic Workers people, I got a ticket for having
a portion of my tires on the "side walk."  This is very narrow, more
of an alley than a street, there is no curb, and it was night and
difficult to see the dividing line between what is the "street," and
the "sidewalk" which no one uses as a sidewalk.  This was clear
retaliation and punishment for my being there.  Officer Bloom, who is
the officer that had charged Jesse of the Tent City with assault
against an officer when Jesse tossed his cell phone to a friend to
photograph himself being ticketed by the police, approached Jane and
me to discuss what was go ing up that night.  We had quite a lengthy
discussion that was nonantagonistic, although I did point out that
there was a similar intimidating and reprisal aspect to his charging
Jesse with assault and my ticket for parking on the "sidewalk."
Also, just before Officer Bloom began his conversation with Jane and
me and when Jesse came near us, Officer Bloom went out of his way to
tell Jesse that he had looked him up on Facebook and learned a lot of
things about him.  After 20 or 25 minutes of discussing the situation
in a very civil manner, Officer Bloom out of the blue accused me of
being a "Fascist."  Needless to say, both because of his previous
civil demeanor and because of his choice of words, both Jane and I
were very taken aback.  I asked him why he used such a charged word
to characterize me and what he meant by it.  At that point, he
accused me of belittling him, or treating him like a schoolboy who
needed to explain what he meant by a word.  He said that he could not
continue the conversation and went back to the group of officers who
had been watching us chat from a distance.

A lot of city money went into police intimidation that night.  I
think that the city council needs to be aware of how that money was
spent, and how much better it would be to put it into housing the
homeless.

I hope to see you tonight at the meeting.

Belden