[Peace-discuss] how do we prepare room for the poor

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 13:10:14 CDT 2009

Laurie,

I agree with you: > We should not be treating even the lowest animal as less

I think I used the expression to provoke thought.
Many people who have not considered the poor have a conception that
the poor are dirty, smelly, drug-addicted, and thieves.

If they are dirty, let them bathe.
If they are smelly, let them eat nutritious meals and wash their clothes.
If they are drug-addicted, help them find hope in something more than
the next high.
If they are thieves, consider why they might be driven to steal.

To the drug addiction thing, I'll just mention that I went through a
tough time where self-medicating was something I absent-mindedly found
myself almost doing. Luckily, I had insurance and access to counseling
services. While my particular counselor was not all that helpful, the
services did make me look for more information. I had access to
various information sources including the fliers at the counseling
center, a library card, Internet access, and I could talk to other
people (I wasn't on the fridge of society), and I also had 40 years of
experience watching others (including visiting people in mental
wards). I worked it out because I had access to resources.*

-karen medina
* I'll just throw in the fact that I was literate. Literacy is really
really really important. The best way to keep a people down is to keep
them from becoming literate.