[Peace-discuss] The Day They Arrested President Roosevelt (comfortable living in your empire...)

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sun Jul 19 14:56:57 CDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 01:43:22PM -0500, John W. wrote:
  [...]
> My contribution was to suggest that there is no POLITICAL system on earth
> that does not produce war criminals.  War is a POLITICAL act, but it has
> ECONOMIC justifications and ramifications.  I went on to suggest that not
> only does the POLITICAL act of war not negate the ECONOMIC good that a
> President may do, but more importantly, war is one of the primary engines
> that has actually made it possible for all of us in America to enjoy the
> ECONOMIC privileges which we have enjoyed and still to a large degree enjoy.

Ah.  Yes very good point.

In Amos Oz's "In the Land of Israel", which is a bit like Studs Terkel's "Working"
in that he travels all over Israel, interviewing people with many points of view...
one is a Jewish farmer who said, more or less, that his generation of Israelis
should just go ahead and wipe out the Arabs.   Their grandchildren would
revile them for it, he said, but they would have left them a safe & cozy
place to make that judgement from.

Reading that I was appalled, but then understood that he simply had
a clear historical vision.

> It's not difficult to draw the implication that, unless we are literally
> willing to "put our money where our mouth is" and renounce our economic
> privileges - e.g., our gas-guzzling automobiles - we are ALL complicit as
> war criminals, just as Carl wants to hold the average German accountable for
> Hitler's atrocities (and equate me, for rhetorical effect, with the average
> German during World War II).  Most of us are not in a position to totally
> alter our lifestyle, so it seems rather pointless and hyprocritical to me to
> make a list of Presidents who ordered others murdered so that we in America
> could all live better.

Well said.

But I do enjoy having a quiet place to live...  having things to give away...
and engaging work to do... and internet communication...  and having fresh
produce available all year 'round...  and not having to farm for a living,
or fight over the land or water needed to do it.  Living near the
prosperous tip of the pyramid has been an awfully comfortable place to be.
How much do I have to give up?

Still... may I recommend Derrick Jensen's piece in Orion magazine
(republished in Alternet this week) -- with an environmental focus,
but I think closely tied to what we're saying here:

     http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/4801

	FORGET SHORTER SHOWERS

    WOULD ANY SANE PERSON think dumpster diving would have stopped Hitler,
    or that composting would have ended slavery or brought about the
    eight-hour workday, or that chopping wood and carrying water would
    have gotten people out of Tsarist prisons, or that dancing naked
    around a fire would have helped put in place the Voting Rights Act
    of 1957 or the Civil Rights Act of 1964? Then why now, with all
    the world at stake, do so many people retreat into these entirely
    personal “solutions”?

	[...]

    I want to be clear. I’m not saying we shouldn’t live simply.
    I live reasonably simply myself, but I don’t pretend that not
    buying much (or not driving much, or not having kids) is a
    powerful political act, or that it’s deeply revolutionary.
    It’s not.  Personal change doesn’t equal social change.

       [...]

    Besides being ineffective at causing the sorts of changes necessary
    to stop this culture from killing the planet, there are at least
    four other problems with perceiving simple living as a political
    act (as opposed to living simply because that’s what you want to do).

    The first is that it’s predicated on the flawed notion that
    humans inevitably harm their landbase.  Simple living as a political
    act consists solely of harm reduction, ignoring the fact that humans
    can help the Earth as well as harm it. We can rehabilitate streams,
    we can get rid of noxious invasives, we can remove dams, we can
    disrupt a political system tilted toward the rich as well as an
    extractive economic system, we can destroy the industrial economy
    that is destroying the real, physical world.

    The second problem—and this is another big one—is that it
    incorrectly assigns blame to the individual (and most especially
    to individuals who are particularly powerless) instead of to
    those who actually wield power in this system and to the system
    itself. Kirkpatrick Sale again: “The whole individualist
    what-you-can-do-to-save-the-earth guilt trip is a myth. We, as
    individuals, are not creating the crises, and we can’t solve
    them.”

    The third problem is that it accepts capitalism’s redefinition
    of us from citizens to consumers. By accepting this redefinition,
    we reduce our potential forms of resistance to consuming and not
    consuming. Citizens have a much wider range of available resistance
    tactics, including voting, not voting, running for office,
    pamphleting, boycotting, organizing, lobbying, protesting, and,
    when a government becomes destructive of life, liberty, and the
    pursuit of happiness, we have the right to alter or abolish it.

    The fourth problem is that the endpoint of the logic behind
    simple living as a political act is suicide. If every act within
    an industrial economy is destructive, and if we want to stop
    this destruction, and if we are unwilling (or unable) to question
    (much less destroy) the intellectual, moral, economic, and physical
    infrastructures that cause every act within an industrial economy
    to be destructive, then we can easily come to believe that we will
    cause the least destruction possible if we are dead.

    The good news is that there are other options. We can follow
    the examples of brave activists who lived through the difficult
    times I mentioned—Nazi Germany, Tsarist Russia, antebellum United
    States—who did far more than manifest a form of moral purity; they
    actively opposed the injustices that surrounded them. We can follow
    the example of those who remembered that the role of an activist is
    not to navigate systems of oppressive power with as much integrity
    as possible, but rather to confront and take down those systems.