[Peace-discuss] un-binary the binary - organize!

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 19 16:50:12 CDT 2009

But, John ...

(and I do think it's a funny kind of argument for activists in particular to have, especially with the Christian arguing that unfortunately "might makes right" and the atheist objecting that justice sometimes prevails ;-)

... aren't you overstating you case, just a bit?

Was Martin Luther King an oppressor?  Gandhi a conqueror?

Wasn't slavery abolished (mostly) by an international movement of people not necessarily in government or controlling military might, but making ethical arguments - and organizing - over and over, over and over?

Didn't organized labor and the organizations of the unemployed succeed - partially, but substantially - when they raised living standards for millions of workers, achieved safety and health regulations that may be flawed but have nevertheless saved many thousands of lives - and that's documented - got thousands of poor children out of coal mines and into schools?

Didn't rebellious soldiers and peace activists around the world force the US out of Vietnam?  Didn't the resulting "Vietnam Syndrome" scale back US imperialism for decades afterwards, reducing it to the "low intensity warfare" that prevailed until the invasion of Granada and then Panama?  Wasn't that worth it?

Of course we are all aware of the shortcomings of any and all of these efforts, and their results.  Not least of these is that we seem to have to return to these same battlegrounds over and over, of course.  That's because all these movements were run by human beings and not characters in a fable.  So I'd suggest that the question isn't either/or, total victory or total defeat, Armageddon or Ragnarok.

I agree that it's unlikely that a lot of US presidents are about to be hanged, or even tried - for anything serious, anyway.  It's also pretty implausible that we'll manage to elect a president, or a Congress, that ... well, that we'd be satisfied with.

But - apologies to my fellow anarchists - that doesn't mean they're all the same, does it?  Or that there is no justice possible at all.

There are things we can do.  We should do them if we can.  There are contradictions like Chomsky's Nuremburg point that Carl raises, which get people thinking, potentially at least ... some people.  For some, at least they'll know they aren't crazy when they hear someone else say outloud and clearly.  Some may feel the proverbial scales drop from their eyes.  Some may decide, yes, time to organize!

It will need to get out beyond this listserve, of course.

Ricky

"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes." - Maggie Kuhn