[Peace-discuss] Fw: [cchcc-l] Sign on with Sen. Durbin to support public health insurance!

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 23 10:05:57 CDT 2009

Fyi
 --Jenifer

--- On Wed, 7/22/09, Allison Jones <allison at healthcareconsumers.org> wrote:

From: Allison Jones <allison at healthcareconsumers.org>
Subject: [cchcc-l] Sign on with Sen. Durbin to support public health insurance!
To: cchcc-l at lists.shout.net
Date: Wednesday, July 22, 2009, 8:22 PM

#yiv1136437364 BLOCKQUOTE {
PADDING-BOTTOM:0px;PADDING-TOP:0px;}
#yiv1136437364 DL {
PADDING-BOTTOM:0px;PADDING-TOP:0px;}
#yiv1136437364 UL {
PADDING-BOTTOM:0px;PADDING-TOP:0px;}
#yiv1136437364 OL {
PADDING-BOTTOM:0px;PADDING-TOP:0px;}
#yiv1136437364 LI {
PADDING-BOTTOM:0px;PADDING-TOP:0px;}

Dear Friends,

The fight for REAL health reform may be coming to a head very soon, and Champaign County Health Care Consumers is asking you to show your support for one Senator who has consistently put the public's health before private insurance wealth!

Illinois' very own Senator Dick Durbin, along with his colleagues Sen. Schumer and Sen. Leahy, have been collecting signatures of people who support REAL health reform that includes a strong public health insurance option.  Read the message below from Sen. Schumer, on behalf of Sen. Durbin and Sen.. Leahy, and add your name to the growing list of people all across the country who support real health reform!

A strong public health insurance that can compete with the private insurance industry is one of the key principles for health reform, and the only way to ensure that quality, affordable health insurance is available to every single person.  Polls consistently show that the majority of the public supports health reform that includes public health insurance available to everyone, such as Medicare for all.

Over 50,000 people have added their names to the list, and the Senators would like to see that list grow to over 75,000 or more.  In the coming days or weeks, every phone call, letter, and petition showing support for public health insurance will be used as leverage against the big money private insurance and medical lobbyists who want to see health reform fail.

Add your name to the petition of citizens supporting REAL health reform and stand with Sen. Durbin as he fights for all of us! The link to the petition is below, in Sen. Schumer's message.

Also, please stay tuned to these action alerts. In the next day or so, we will be sending another action alert to let you know about a couple of events coming up!

As always, thanks for your support and your activism!

Champaign County Health Care Consumers

***************************************
From: Sen. Chuck Schumer
To: Supporters of health care reform

Dear Friend,

To accomplish the health care reform this country desperately needs, everyone who has a stake in the current system is going to need to come to the table.

Earlier this year, the pharmaceutical companies struck a deal with President Obama to help cut costs. Shortly thereafter, the hospitals struck a similar deal.

The insurance industry could do the same but, instead, chooses to attack the public health plan option and everyone who supports it.

My colleagues and I working on health care reform in the Senate Committee on Finance aren't going to sit back on our heels -- we're going on the offensive. But the pressure on the insurance industry needs to come from the people, too.

If you haven't signed the petition Senators Leahy, Durbin, and I are circulating yet, sign it today and help put pressure on the insurance industry to come to the table.

http://ga3.org/ct/edbp4tp1Z4Fv/petition

Health insurance premiums have doubled since 2001. In case you're wondering where the extra money is going, industry profits have soared 428% in that same time.

My colleagues and I on the Finance committee are pushing for the major health insurers to pay their fair share by submitting to new fees that will help pay for a major chunk of the overhaul -- and eliminate the potential need to tax benefits.

Your signature on our petition will help give us the leverage to get what we need from the insurance industry and truly reform health care in this country.

Please sign the petition now.

http://ga3.org/ct/edbp4tp1Z4Fv/petition

Thank you,

Chuck Schumer