[Peace-discuss] Fw: [cchcc-l] 2 Actions for Health Reform - Saturday Speak Out, Monday Town Hall

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 24 16:03:31 CDT 2009

--- On Fri, 7/24/09, Allison Jones <allison at healthcareconsumers.org> wrote:

From: Allison Jones <allison at healthcareconsumers.org>
Subject: [cchcc-l] 2 Actions for Health Reform - Saturday Speak Out, Monday Town Hall
To: cchcc-l at lists.shout.net
Date: Friday, July 24, 2009, 11:36 AM

Dear Friends,

Champaign County Health Care Consumers (CCHCC) is participating in two
actions in the next few days on national health reform.

The first action is a health care "Speak Out" on Saturday in Urbana, and the
second is Rep. Tim Johnson's Town Hall meeting on Monday (July 27) in
Danville.

We know this is short notice, but we hope some of you will be able to attend
one or both actions.

Please read below for more information about each action.

********************
1. SATURDAY (TOMORROW) - "SPEAK OUT" FOR REAL HEALTH REFORM!

On Saturday (tomorrow), July 25, CCHCC will be participating in the "Speak
Out" for health reform organized by Campaign for Better Health Care, which
is a statewide health advocacy organization.

The "Speak Out" will be held at the Urbana Free Library and it begins at
9:30 a.m.

The "Speak Out" is organized to give community members an opportunity to
tell your story and raise your voices about how you have been affected by a
broken health care system.

Rep. Tim Johnson has been invited to attend the forum, but regardless of his
attendance your testimonies will be recorded and he will hear your demands.
You'll have the chance to tell Rep. Johnson why you believe he should
support REAL health reform and what you think that should be!

If you are able to come to this event, we hope that you might choose to
highlight some of CCHCC's principles for national health reform in your
statements, and identify yourself proudly as a member of CCHCC, to show that
we have a strong local base of active, informed constituents who care deeply
about health care and REAL health reform.

Here are a few talking points you can use to help frame your demands to Rep..
Johnson, from CCHCC's Principles for National Health Reform.

CCHCC's Campaign for National Health Reform is dedicated to REAL health
reform that will:
o guarantee affordable coverage for everyone
o guarantee comprehensive benefits for all health care needs
o guarantee access to health care on a timely basis
o provide financial protection against the costs of care
o guarantee coverage without exclusions or penalties based on pre-existing
conditions, gender, etc.
o provide a public health insurance option (like Medicare) available to
everyone
o guarantee consumer protections and government regulation

For more information about CCHCC's Campaign for National Health Reform and
how to get involved, visit:
http://www.healthcareconsumers.org/index.php?action=Display%20Page&id=702

Below is a part of the message from Campaign for Better Health Care, who is
organizing Saturday's "Speak Out."

Our very own Congressman Johnson was quoted in the News Gazette as saying,
"I can't see where there'd be any legislation before Congress that I'd
support."  We talk to everyday people who support health care reform.
Congressman Johnson also said, "The current health care system needs to be
tweaked."  Tweaked?  Our own local businesses like Café Kopi and Wind,
Water, & Light Galleries agree that "tweaking" isn't going to create a
system that works for all.  We can't let Congressman Johnson be the opponent
of change!  We must hold him accountable.

1. Call Congressman Johnson's district office and ask him to support health
care reform legislation and to attend a Town Hall SPEAK OUT Forum on July
25th at 9:30am at the Urbana Public Library.  His number is 217/403-4690.

2. Attend the Town Hall Forum "SPEAK OUT" for Health Care Justice on July
25th at 9:30am at the Urbana Public Library.  Bring a friend!  Recruit
attendees from your church, workout groups, social networks, local
businesses you visit, and friends.  You can download a flyer at:
http://www.cbhconline.org/issues/cdc/cdc15.php

Who:  Campaign for Better Health Care
What: Town Hall Forum and "Speak Out" for Health Care Justice
When: Saturday, July 25 - 9:30 am
Where: Urbana Free Library - Auditorium
       210 W. Green, Urbana

Parking is available and the library is accessible by MTD bus routes.

***************************************

2. MONDAY, JULY 27 - REP. TIM JOHNSON'S TOWN HALL MEETING IN DANVILLE

Join CCHCC on Monday, July 27 as we travel to Danville for a Town Hall
meeting hosted by Rep. Tim Johnson!

We will take our demands for REAL health reform to Rep. Johnson at his own
town hall meeting in Danville on Monday.

Rep. Johnson will hear your stories and demands, and will have to explain
why he refuses to support REAL health reform!  He needs to hear from his own
constituents about how they have been affected by the health care crisis,
because he doesn't believe that the health care system needs to be reformed..
So tell him your story!

At his Town Hall meeting in Rantoul on Monday, July 20, Rep. Johnson said he
does not believe that anyone has ever been turned away from receiving health
care. He just doesn't believe it. Our own Jim Bean asked Rep. Johnson why,
if private health insurance works so well, is it that 75% of Illinois
residents who filed for medical bankruptcy had health insurance at the time
that they accumulated the debt leading to their bankruptcy. Rep. Johnson
said he doesn't believe the state or national studies that document the
rates of medical bankruptcies! Rep. Johnson needs to hear from his
constituents that the health care system, as it is, is broken and failing
the people it's supposed to serve, and with devastating consequences on
people's health and financial lives!

Please join us on Monday as we travel to Danville to make sure Rep. Johnson
hears our voices!

What:   Rep. Tim Johnson's town hall meeting
When:   Monday, July 27 - 5:30-6:30 pm
Where:  Danville City Hall - 17 W. Main St., Danville, IL
       Map: http://lnk.nu/maps.google.com/yfv

RSVP: nick at healthcareconsumers.org
Please RSVP if you are planning on attending.

TRANSPORTATION:
CCHCC will be carpooling from Champaign, so if you need transportation you
must let us know.

Here are the details:
1. Meeting Up
Transportation will be available for those who RSVP with CCHCC.  We will be
meeting in the parking lot of County Market near I-72 on Glenn Park Dr. in
Champaign.

This location is accessible by the 6 Orange bus during the day, and the 50
Green bus in the evening.

2.  Transportation
The delegation will be carpooling, so if you are willing to drive a group
please include that in your RSVP email.  Anyone traveling with CCHCC must be
prepared to stay for all the activities.

If you are able to provide transportation for participants, please let us
know when you RSVP as well.

Thank you!

Champaign County Health Care Consumers
44 E. Main Street  Suite 208