[Peace-discuss] ben steins mummy

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Tue Jul 28 10:23:46 CDT 2009

An email with a note from Ben Stein and his handlers
in very large type (reduced here) appeared in my email box this
morning.  It was
not an act of my will to receive this expression of opinion from Ben.
Likewise now for you the reader, but you are luckier than I was.

I am sending Ben's note because of its extreme position in the debate on
health care in the US.
(My present position personally is that I don't think that any of the
most popular proposed options adequately address
our health care problem.  A new system is needed to serve those presently
not being served.  Keeping the old system but changing who pays doesn't
address any of the fundamental problems with the system itself, but I
digress...)

Ben Stein comes off as pretty silly to make the sort of attacks he makes
on Obama,
or to attack Obama in the way that Stein does, whether one likes Obama
or not.
Please note that I don't like Barack Obama either.  I don't find BHO
to be any more likeable or convincing a conman now than
when he was running for President in the 2006 race for US Senator from
Illinois.
However, I certainly don't think that John McCain was any
less an enemy of the people, our freedoms, and the rule of law than is
Mr. Obama.
Indeed, Mr. Obama is preferable to McCain in a sick and perverse sort of
way.
I do rather like Jeremiah Wright.  Wright's "hysterical anti-American
diatribes" are quite often near the mark.
It's interesting that Ben chooses to fling this old dried cowchip about
Wright.

The interesting thing to me and I hope to you the reader also,
is that this sort of junk does apparently resonate with and
get traction with a significant segment of the populace.  If it didnt,
no one would be
sending out this nonsense thinking that it's good stuff.  I think it's
good stuff,
but in the same way that I find those MSDS sheets warning me of the
dangers of
distilled water to be "good stuff".  Rinse with plenty of water if spilled.

I thought Ben Stein was really funny as the teacher in "Ferris Bueller's
Day Off".
But everyone was funny in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off".
I don't think Ben is writing this to be funny, but I find it quite
humourous that Ben
is Not trying to be funny.  Maybe he wasn't trying to be funny in
"Ferris Bueller" either.

****

The American Spectator
July 24, 2009
/By Ben Stein/

    We've Figured Him Out

Why is President Barack Obama in such a hurry to get his socialized
medicine bill passed?

Because he and his cunning circle realize some basic truths:

The American people in their unimaginable kindness and trust voted for a
pig in a poke in 2008. They wanted so much to believe Barack Obama was
somehow better and different from other ultra-leftists that they simply
took him on faith.

They ignored his anti-white writings in his books. They ignored his
quiet acceptance of hysterical anti-American diatribes by his minister,
Jeremiah Wright.

They ignored his refusal to explain years at a time of his life as a
student. They ignored his ultra-left record as a "community organizer,"
Illinois state legislator, and Senator.

The American people ignored his total zero of an academic record as a
student and teacher, his complete lack of scholarship when he was being
touted as a scholar.

Now, the American people are starting to wake up to the truth. Barack
Obama is a super likeable super leftist, not a fan of this country, way,
way too cozy with the terrorist leaders in the Middle East, way beyond
naïveté, all the way into active destruction of our interests and our
allies and our future.

The American people have already awakened to the truth that the stimulus
bill -- a great idea in theory -- was really an immense bribe to
Democrat interest groups, and in no way an effort to help all Americans.

Now, Americans are waking up to the truth that ObamaCare basically means
that every time you are sick or injured, you will have a clerk from the
Department of Motor Vehicles telling your doctor what he can and cannot do.

The American people already know that Mr. Obama's plan to lower health
costs while expanding coverage and bureaucracy is a myth, a promise of
something that never was and never will be -- a bureaucracy lowering
costs in a free society. Either the costs go up or the free society goes
away.

These are perilous times. Mrs. Hillary Clinton, our Secretary of State,
has given Iran the go-ahead to have nuclear weapons, an unqualified
betrayal of the nation. Now, we face a devastating loss of freedom at
home in health care. It will be joined by controls on our lives to
"protect us" from global warming, itself largely a fraud if believed to
be caused by man.

Mr. Obama knows Americans are getting wise and will stop him if he
delays at all in taking away our freedoms.

There is his urgency and our opportunity. Once freedom is lost, America
is lost. Wake up, beloved America.

/Ben Stein is a writer, actor, economist, and lawyer living in Beverly
Hills and Malibu.
He writes "Ben Stein's Diary" for every issue of The American Spectator
<http://www.spectator.org/>./