[Peace-discuss] The Iranian election in democratic context

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Jul 31 11:08:10 CDT 2009

I'm not sure the distinction between the two types of president is as sharp as
Zizek wants it to be -- and he's primarily interested in describing the Teflon
type (which type certainly includes the present US incumbent) -- but it's
certainly true that the most progressive administration since WWII was Nixon's.
Consider environmental practice alone, but it's not limited to that.

The Nixon administration was staffed by criminals like Kissinger -- Watergate
was a bagatelle, as Chomsky insists -- but the Nixonians were under a lot of
popular pressure.  The Sixties didn't end until well into the Seventies.  (The
terminus ad quem was the beginning of reaction with the Carter presidency, and
the Trilateral Commission's 1976 book "The Crisis of Democracy: On the
Governability of Democracies" sounded the charge for the statist reactionaries,
now d.b.a. "Neoliberalism.")  Alex Cockburn, who wrote better about these events
at the time than perhaps anyone else, considers Ford the best post-war US
president...

I'm not sure that Mankoff is right, but he's on to a good question.  It may be
that the most important effect of the Nixon administration was the destruction
of the Bretton Woods system, which had guided world capitalism in its "golden
age" (roughly WWII to Nixon), and the desperate attempt of that administration
to find an adequate substitute in an age of declining return on capital. It's
becoming clear that Ron Paul was on to something when he bemoaned the end of the
gold standard -- a Nixon accomplishment.  --CGE