[Peace-discuss] Re: [Announce] [Peace] Adding Insult to Injury: State’s Attorney Releases Medical Records of “Toto” Kaiyewu

Marti Wilkinson martiwilki at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 02:25:18 CDT 2009

In the case of the pit bull, the officers probably had to be careful to
disable the dog without causing harm to the person who was being attacked
which really does not have any bearing on the questions that are being
raised here. What I see as a concern here is how investigators are choosing
to frame what happened here to the media. In other words - how public
opinion may end up being distorted as a result of releasing medical records
and reports. I believe that many of us can agree that law enforcement
officials are often put in situations where they have to make decisions very
very quickly in order to maintain public safety and protect each other from
harm. As such, it makes perfect sense that this story is being presented as
one where the officers may have been in danger and acted accordingly. The
basic criticism as I understand it is that the people who investigated this
have a vested interest in developing a conclusion favorable to the officers
and this indicates a need for some reform in how these internal affairs are
handled and managed.

Look at the case of Donnell Clemons and the police officers who were shot
during a confrontation with him. Had Clemons died from his injuries I doubt
any investigation would have questioned how he was approached that evening.
What both the Clemons and the Kaiweyu cases bring up is the need for
independent and objective evaluations to be made when injuries or death
results from these situations. As it is, we get spoon fed information that
essentially states that suspects who suffer from impaired judgment are
dangerous people and therefore subject to elimination without question. It
gets even more contentious when racial profiling and sundown communities are
involved.

Ultimately if we are able to find some way in which an independent
evaluation can be conducted this would actually serve both the interests of
the public and the public servants who have an oath to serve and protect.
This is simply because in a situation like this it's way to easy to convict
all parties involved in the court of public opinion and everyone loses as a
result. Even now we are dealing with law enforcement that is on the defense
and a family of a young man who have to live with the pain of his death and
much of this is due to a broken system that is sorely in need of reform.
Until these changes happen we will continue to see cases like Donnell
Clemons and "Toto" Kaiweyu and that is truly a travesty of justice.