[Peace-discuss] Fw: Re: Adding Insult to Injury: State’s Attorney Releases Medical Records of “Toto” Kaiyewu

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 4 09:20:04 CDT 2009

--- On Wed, 6/3/09, Jenifer Cartwright <jencart13 at yahoo.com> wrote:

(This story further adds insult to injury -- the highlighting is mine)
Sooo... how was it that police were able to WOUND a pittbull that was actually in the process of attacking, but claim they had no choice but to KILL a human being who was brandishing a sharp object??
Lots more work to be done before this one is put to rest...
 --Jenifer

Victim or Aggressor
Reported by: Jenny Gastwirth/ WCIA 3 News

Wednesday, Jun 3, 2009 @10:08pm CST

Please Select a Bandwidth High | Med | Low CHAMPAIGN--We first reported Tuesday night that a man fought a pit bull and mixed breed off a child. It happened outside the Tuscany Ridge Apartments in Champaign. Now some witnesses are calling the victim the aggressor. They say the dogs were never violent.. They believe they were provoked and went into defense mode. But the man others call a hero says thank goodness he was there.

Randy Grafton's body is covered with what he calls "battle wounds." He got seven stitches after getting between a little boy and two big dogs. "I tell ya I feel like I was up against one of those professional boxers after going through it," he said. But he adds his pain is worth it. It's a small price to pay for keeping children safe. "When a dog is off a leash and it's chasing a kid, somebody's got to do something to protect that kid." Others say this is a case of over-reacting. "The kids they run up and down every day past that dog," said Jayme Melchi. "They're out there, they pet it [and] the dogs lick them." Melchi says it's a shame police were called in for help.. They ended up shooting the pit bull without killing him. Animal control had to later put him down. The other dog is being quarantined. "I've been around pit bulls all my life and I've yet to see one just turn back and go crazy for no reason," said Melchi. "I mean honestly it's got to be a
 protect issue or they're feeling threatened."

Grafton says there's a reason states have leash laws and the community is lucky he's the only one who got hurt. "If they had gotten a hold of him, they would have ripped him apart," he said about the little boy.

Police haven't released the dog owner's name. No word on if any charges will be filed. Again the little boy is okay.
<< Back