Re: [Peace-discuss] Fw: Re: Adding Insult to Injury: State’s Attorney Releases Medical Records of “Toto” Kaiyewu

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 22:20:07 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 3:02 PM, LAURIE SOLOMON <LAURIE at advancenet.net>wrote:

>  Frequently, we confuse impressions and rumors with policy and realities.
> (smile)  My experiences with police and police departments, which is now not
> as current as I would like it to be, suggests that policy departments do not
> have policies that instruct an officer to shoot to kill  whether the target
> be human or other species.  They do have policies that set as a goal that
> the officer hit the target on the target range a certain percentage of the
> time so as to qualify; if they fail this goal, they are put on restricted
> duty until they can accomplish the goal.  After a reason number of tries, if
> they still fail to qualify, they are not allowed to carry a weapon; and this
> means that they cannot work the streets if they have been on the department
> beyond the probationary period and are terminated if they are new hires who
> are still within the probationary period.

My understanding is that police, as well as citizens who take "self defense"
firearms classes, are taught to shoot to STOP the assailant in his/her
tracks.  They're taught to aim at the trunk, which is the largest area on
the body and therefore the easiest to hit.  On a human body, the "target" is
the trunk, where the heart and other vital organs are.  And police use
large-caliber handguns with hollow-point bullets which expand and fragment
on impact.  So the likelihood is that the shooter, if s/he hits the trunk
which is the target, will kill the assailant.

John Wason