[Peace-discuss] AWARE and racism

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 5 10:19:14 CDT 2009

I see the "is AWARE a racist organization" debate is going on again. It is
brought forward, generally, by people who are not adequately familiar with
the workings of AWARE. I want to make 3 points:

1) Some of our members prefer that we not dilute our anti-war efforts by
addressing other issues. Carl Estabrook, for example, is strongly of this
opinion. This is a perfectly legitimate position, although it is one that I
don't agree with. The solution is working groups, which can specialize as
they like.

2) AWARE has an active anti-racism working group that is strongly linked to
CUCPJ. Bob Wahlfeld, Durl Kruse and I were heavily involved in this at its
founding. Randall is now taking an active role, as are others in AWARE.

3) I've asked some of the activists in CUCPJ why they don't work with AWARE
more closely, and the answer is consistently that although they are
anti-war, they see racism as the more serious problem. This also a
completely reasonable position, with me once more in the middle on this.

There is no rule that every activist or organization be concerned with
every good cause. Stop the stone throwing, you stone throwers out there. Or
even better, look at yourself and ask if you are really in a position the
cast the first stone.

Bob