[Peace-discuss] Why are we in Afghanistan?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Jun 8 22:06:11 CDT 2009

While the administration tells us that it is spending billions of dollars and
killing thousands of people to "shield people from violence" in Afghanistan (and
Pakistan, Iraq, Palestine, Somalia, et al.), we need to hold on to two points:

   [1] Afghanistan (et al.) is part of what the Pentagon calls the Long War,
because it stretches back at least a generation and is being planned into the
next; and

   [2] the Long War is about oil.

Even Tom Friedman, the chief government flack at the NYT, writes this week, "I
have never bought the argument that Iraq was the bad war, Afghanistan the good
war and Pakistan the necessary war. Folks, they’re all one war with different
fronts."

But what he can't admit is that the US prosecutes the war to control energy
resources.  For him (and he represents Informed Opinion in the political class,
alas), "It’s a war within the Arab-Muslim world between progressive and
anti-modernist forces," which the US got into in a "blundering attempt to do
good" (as the liberal propaganda about Vietnam put it long ago).

It's a fantastic lie, of course, but even so it can't explain why we're doing it
in the Middle East rather than in, say, Central Africa. (See [2], above.)  --CGE