[Peace-discuss] Disgusting fake progs

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Jun 13 23:16:56 CDT 2009

	Heather Hurlbutt: Wanking the Supplemental
	By: Jane Hamsher Saturday June 13, 2009 4:20 pm

There's a special place in hell for think tanks that set themselves up to suck
up donations from rich donors for the sole purpose of wrapping imperialist
foreign policy in progressive rhetoric.

May Heather Hurlbutt and her "It could be the last of its kind" speculations
spend a great deal of time there.

http://campaignsilo.firedoglake.com/2009/06/13/heather-hurlbutt-wanking-the-supplemental/

	Heather Hurlburt
	Executive Director, National Security Network
	Six Reasons to Love the Supplemental and
	Celebrate Progressives in Government [sic]

Usually, there are lots of reasons for progressives not to love supplemental
spending bills. And I won't argue that this one is perfect. But before you get
too queasy, consider six ways that progressives in Congress and the man at 1600
Pennsylvania turned "more of the same" into "change." Perhaps most important,
the bill offers shifts in momentum that progressives can build on --
prioritizing economic support for poorer countries, even in an economic
downturn; stopping the advance of the conservative effort to turn back the
closing of Gitmo and ending of torture; and ending the apparently ceaseless
expansion of defense budgets. It also marks various brands and blocs of
progressives coming together to promote each other's goals -- i.e., successfully
managing American's security and international engagement. And that's worth
showing a little love.

1.	It marks the first turn-back of conservative efforts to push the Obama
Administration to the right on torture. Some progressives want to force the
Administration to release photos of Abu Ghraib abuse -- others believe that
allowing Senator Lieberman and Graham to set that policy legislatively takes
away the Administration's freedom of action and sends the wrong message about
what photos might be suppressed, and why. And they won!

2.	It makes it clear that the priority pathway for Guantanamo detainees is
civilian trials in United States courts. Even as Newt Gingrich, Dick Cheney and
their wacky friends continue to suggest that American courts and prison guards
can't do their jobs -- the same institutions that currently hold dozens of
convicted terrorists, including the only convicted 9-11 conspirator -- Congress
explicitly endorses bringing detainees to the US for civilian trials. That's a
welcome rebuke to the drumbeat of "Khalid Sheikh Mohamed infiltrates your
supermarket" we've been hearing on the Senate floor for the last month. I don't
want to downplay the importance of the points still in contention -- where and
how we imprison convicted detainees, and how we convince other countries to take
in detainees if we don't take any ourselves. But with civilian trials a process
begins which puts some of those decisions clearly in the hands of the executive
and legislative branches -- and inside the rule of law, which was progressives'
goal all along. Without civilian trials, no pathway to the rule of law exists.
*Sometimes, the devil really is in the details. And these are devilish on both
national security and human rights grounds. I don't want word getting out on
where detainees are going 45 days in advance. Downgrade this to 'waiting to see
the next move.'

3.	It will move money to prevent meltdowns in countries hit hardest by the
economic crisis. That's what the IMF money is for -- Pakistan, Hungary. And no,
this isn't your 1990's "Washington consensus" lending, with the kind of
conditionality that the left loves to hate. This is in some ways the IMF
returning to its original core mission -- stepping in as a temporary
lender-of-last resort to economies in dire straits. The countries in question
want the money. And, fiscal conservatives, it's a loan from us to the IMF.
Backed by gold reserves. We get it back.

4.	It builds Obama's credibility overseas. Obama jammed a major increase in IMF
support for poor countries hard-hit by the economic crisis into the April G20
Summit, over the objections of Europeans who wanted to focus only on re-writing
market regulations and leave struggling countries (like Pakistan) to fend for
themselves. Moving this money to the IMF in just two months will make it clear
globally that Obama can deliver on his promises and heighten the likelihood that
others deliver on theirs as well. And, as CAP's Nina Hachigian points out, this
will increase our credibility at the IMF at a moment when China is building its
own oomph.

5.	 It's smaller. In a break from Bush Administration practice, the Obama
Administration shifted a significant proportion of the Iraq and Afghanistan
warfighting expenses back into the regular budget -- where they can be analyzed
and debated and held up against other priorities.

6.	It could be the last of its kind. The Obama Administration has also pledged
to move all of the war-fighting expenses that are actually regular and
foreseeable into the regular budgets. So there's a decent chance that, in
future, members of Congress from all sides will lose the ability to push
unpopular projects through by tying them to money for the troops on the ground.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/heather-hurlburt/six-reasons-to-love-the-s_b_214826.html