[Peace-discuss] Liberal support for war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Jun 17 12:12:44 CDT 2009

David Swanson writes about this position:

"We have citizen frauds too. These are organizations that, like fraudulent
Congress members, acted as if they opposed wars when it didn't much matter, when
the government was run by Republicans dedicated to continuing wars. These are
blogs and organizations that put the Democratic Party's positions ahead of
what's good for the country or the world or -- I would argue -- even the
Democratic Party. They did not lift a finger to oppose this war supplemental:
Campaign for America's Future, Center for American Progress, Democracy for
America, Moveon.org, Talking Points Memo, and True Majority.

"Of course the bulk of Congress and the bulk of civic organizations are not
mentioned here at all because they are proud war mongers or they are groups that
never involve themselves in the struggle for peace even when it's safe to do so.
The worst offense is not necessarily hypocrisy. The worst offense is promotion
of militarism. But hypocrisy can fool you if you don't focus your vision on
it..."  <http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/node/43479>