[Peace-discuss] “Needless confrontation”

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Jun 18 12:47:25 CDT 2009

[I would like to have a been a fly on the wall for this White House social
interaction . (But if so, I probably would have king-fu'd by Obama.) --CGE]

	Clinton clashes with Israelis over settlers
	By Daniel Dombey in Washington
	Published: June 18 2009 01:24

Hillary Clinton, the US secretary of state, clashed face to face with her
Israeli counterpart on Wednesday as the two countries remained at loggerheads
over the expansion of settlements in occupied territory.

In what appeared one of the most tense encounters between the sides for several
years, Mrs Clinton and Avigdor Lieberman, Israel’s foreign minister, disagreed
on both the US call for a complete freeze on settlement growth and Israel’s
contention that the administration of George W. Bush, the former president, had
signalled that some expansion was permissible...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/614c98a4-5b98-11de-be3f-00144feabdc0.html