[Peace-discuss] request for help: from martin smith

martin smith send2smith at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 23 15:06:07 CDT 2009

Dear Friend,

I have been selected as a delegate on the Viva Palestina trip with
British M.P. George Galloway and Vietnam Veteran Ron Kovic, author of Born on the Fourth of July. The goal of this trip is to bring
attention and medical aid to war-torn Gaza in the wake of this year’s
devastating war.  Our delegation will leave from New York on July 4, 2009.

As you are likely aware, It is estimated that between 1,166 to 1,417
Palestinians, and 13 Israelis, died in the conflict.  The United Nations
and countries around the world decried Israel’s siege of Gaza as a
human rights disaster, and even Barack Obama has called the present situation a "humanitarian crisis."  Having the opportunity to learn more about the war
and the lives of people in this region and to share my experience with others, this trip will be meaningful
not only for Gazans but me personally as well.  It is an opportunity of a lifetime.

Upon my return, I will be glad to report back on my experience by
giving lectures and presentations in the activist community and the
public at large, and I plan to take pictures and keep a web blog and diary.

Unfortunately, the trip will cost approximately $2,500.00, an amount I
cannot produce on my own. I am writing to ask you for any help you
could provide in the form of a financial sponsorship of my trip. In any
presentations I deliver, I will gratefully acknowledge your support.
Please consider contributing any amount. Any money I receive in
addition to the $2,500.00 will go to purchase more medical aid while we are
in Cairo that I will personally deliver.

If you can help, please contact me directly at: send2smith at gmail.com.
I will be happy to provide receipts and notes as evidence of how the
money is spent. I guarantee that it will all go toward the costs of the
trip.

If you are unfamiliar with the Viva Palestina program, you can find more information at http://vivapalestina-us.org/

I am very grateful for your consideration of this request and I appreciate your support.

In solidarity,

Martin Smith

--
"The audacity of hope part is over.  Right now, i'm hoping for a little more audacity."
-Bill Maher