[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Tom Engelhardt: Charisma and the Imperial Presidency

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Jun 24 16:33:09 CDT 2009

Wayne's quoting Cicero's first speech against Catiline, from 63 BCE, but it's
discouragingly apropos it is for our current Chief Magistrate:

    "For how long will that madness of yours mock us?

    "To what end will you broadcast your 'Audacity of Hope'?"

(That's really what the last line means, close enough.)

These are lines two and three of what is technically an "ascending tricolon" --
a device Lincoln liked, e.g., "We cannot dedicate -- we cannot consecrate -- we
cannot hallow..." (Gettysburg Address); and "with malice toward none, with
charity toward all, with firmness in the right..." (Second Inaugural Address).