[Peace-discuss] Relying on Republicans again?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Jun 26 13:19:08 CDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Mike Ewall* <catalyst at actionpa.org>
Date: Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 9:32 AM
Subject: [Biomass] STOP WAXMAN-MARKEY TODAY! CALL NOW!

STOP WAXMAN-MARKEY TODAY!

No amendments were allowed on the Waxman-Markey bill yesterday, but a
new version of the bill was introduced around 2:30am this morning, with
400 pages of new content that no legislators have even had time to read,
and which isn't even available online yet.

Based on what we already know is in the bill, it will do FAR too much
damage and will NOT be a solution to climate change.  It will mean more
Enron-like economic scandals, polluting corporate giveaways and numerous
false solutions and environmentally-damaging schemes that vulnerable
communities will have to fight.  In short, it will do more harm than good.

We urge you to help us STOP the bill, so that there is time to read it
and to organize for a climate legislation that will actually do what is
needed, not lock us into a failed policy that will waste time that our
planet doesn't have.

I know that the strategy outlined below -- calling on the "blue dog
Dems" to reject the bill using "tax" rhetoric that will resonate with
them -- may sound risky to many of you.  Feel free to add your own
messaging on how the bill should not support nuclear power, coal, oil,
gas, incinerators, biomass, ethanol, Wall Street firms itching to trade
in carbon emissions rights, etc.

Mike Ewall
Energy Justice Network
catalyst at actionpa.org <mailto:catalyst at actionpa.org>