[Peace-discuss] images needed for the 4th of July posters

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 11:13:16 CDT 2009

The theme for the Champaign County 4th of July parade 2009 is "The
Lasting Legacy of Lincoln"

For the Lincoln-quotes-with-illustrations (below), we need people to
dig up digital images.

        THE ANTI-WAR ANTI-RACISM EFFORT REMEMBERS
        LESSONS FROM LINCOLN ON WAR AND WORK

        ************************

        * "Allow the President to invade a neighboring nation whenever he shall
   deem it necessary to repel an invasion ... and you allow him to make war at
   pleasure.
        [PHOTO IDEAS = LIST OF COUNTRIES & DATE WE INVADED THEM (last 20 YEARS):
   PANAMA-1989 SOMALIA-1992 HAITI-1994 SERBIA-1999 AFGHANISTAN-2001 IRAQ-2003
   PAKISTAN-2009]

        * "Teach all the folly of being the beginners of a war."
        [PHOTO = BUSH'S "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" BANNER]

        * "Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves"
        [PHOTO = GITMO, ABU GHRAIB, BAGRAM, ETC. ETC.]

        * No man is good enough to govern another man without that
other's consent.
        [PHOTO = ISRAELI CHECK-POINT ON W. BANK]

        * I could not take an oath to get power, and break the oath in using the
          power.  [PHOTO = WIRETAPPING OR MILITARY TRIBUNAL]

        ************************

        * These capitalists have got into a quarrel with themselves, and we are
          called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel.
         [PHOTO = PAULSON, BERNANKE, GEITHNER]

        * Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Labor is the superior of
          capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
        [PHOTO = COALITION OF IMMOKALEE WORKERS]

        * With some the word liberty may mean for some men to do as they please
          with other men, and the product of other men's labor.
        [PHOTO = HUGO CHAVEZ]

        * This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit
          it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing
Government, they can exercise
          their constitutional right of amending it or their
revolutionary right to
          dismember or overthrow it.
        [PHOTO = ABBIE HOFFMAN OR NOAM CHOMSKY]

        * Why should there not be a patient confidence in the ultimate
justice of
          the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world?
        [PHOTO = HOWARD ZINN'S "PEOPLE'S HISTORY OF THE US"]

   We aim to accent those elements of Lincoln's thought that were
   anti-war (such as his opposition to the Mexican War) and
anti-capitalist (such
   as his opposition to wage-slavery, at least as strong as his opposition to
   chattel slavery).
        ###

You can send the images to kmedina67 at gmail.com or to the peace-discuss list.