[Peace-discuss] Fw: Message From Senator Durbin

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 30 15:23:15 CDT 2009

Blah blah blah...
 --Jenifer

--- On Tue, 6/30/09, Correspondence_Reply at durbin.senate.gov <Correspondence_Reply at durbin.senate.gov> wrote:

From: Correspondence_Reply at durbin.senate.gov <Correspondence_Reply at durbin.senate.gov>
Subject: Message From Senator Durbin
To: jencart13 at yahoo.com
Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 1:06 PM

June 30, 2009

Mrs. Jenifer Cartwright
503 Hessel Blvd
Champaign, IL 61820-6407

Dear Mrs. Cartwright:

Thank you for contacting me regarding President Obama's diplomatic efforts in the Middle East. I appreciate hearing from you and share your view that America's national security interests can benefit from the aggressive use of diplomacy.

The advent of the Obama Administration provides an opportunity for a fresh start for U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East. President Obama has already made clear that he intends to engage in the Middle East in new ways.

President Obama has repeatedly stated that resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict will be a top priority for his administration. His speech in Cairo and his decision to appoint former Senator George Mitchell as Special Envoy to the Middle East are strong indications that he intends to carry out an active diplomatic effort to engage the nations and people of the region.

This engagement may prove helpful in addressing some of our nation's most pressing national security challenges, including the possibility that Iran intends to develop a nuclear weapon, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and the importance of a stable Iraq.

I will keep your views in mind as U.S. foreign policy towards the Middle East is considered in the Senate.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. Please feel free to stay in touch.

Sincerely,
Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator

RJD/ds