[Peace-discuss] cynthia captured by Israeli Navy.

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Tue Jun 30 18:20:29 CDT 2009

Cynthia McKinney Demands Immediate Release After Her Gaza-Bound Boat is
Seized by Israeli Navy
Former U.S. lawmaker and Green Party leader Cynthia McKinney, a longtime
activist for the Palestinians, says her boat, the Spirit of Humanity,
was carrying medical supplies, cement, olive trees and children's toys
to Gaza when it was seized by an Israeli navy ship.

FOXNews.com

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Former U.S. lawmaker and Green Party presidential candidate Cynthia
McKinney, whose relief boat was seized by an Israeli naval ship Tuesday
for the second time in a year, is demanding the immediate release of her
and 20 other activists.

McKinney, a longtime supporter of Palestinians, said her Greek-flagged
boat, the Spirit of Humanity, was carrying medical supplies, cement,
olive trees and children's toys to Gaza when it was boarded by the
Israeli navy.

"This is an outrageous violation of international law against us," said
McKinney. "Our boat was not in Israeli waters and we were on a human
rights mission to the Gaza Strip. President Obama just told Israel to
let in humanitarian and reconstruction supplies, and that's exactly what
we tried to do. We're asking the international community to demand our
release so we can resume our journey."

The Israeli military issued a statement Tuesday saying that the boat had
attempted to break a blockade of Gaza and was forced to sail to an
Israeli port after ignoring a radio message to stay out of Gaza waters.

The statement said navy personnel boarded the freighter Arion without
any shots being fired, and those on board were to be handed over to
immigration authorities. Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Yigal Palmor
said Israel was planning to free the crew and passengers.

"Nobody wants to keep them here," he said. "They will be released as
soon as they are checked."

The humanitarian cargo was also to be trucked into the Gaza Strip after
a security check.

In a statement released by the Green Party, McKinney said she had sent
appeals to Obama and the State Department for assurances of protection
for the relief mission. She said the boat was sailing in international
waters when it was seized.

The White House nor the State Department was immediately available for
comment.

This isn't the first time a boat carrying McKinney has clashed with an
Israeli navy ship. In December, McKinney was among 16 people aboard a
medical supply boat that collided with an Israeli naval ship as it tried
to enter coastal waters around Gaza.

At the time, the group claimed the Israeli military fired machine guns
into the water in an attempt to the stop the boat's progress. But a
spokesman for Israel's foreign ministry said "physical contact" was made
only after the aid boat failed to respond to radio contact and he denied
any gunfire had occurred.

Israel launched an offensive in December against Gaza in an attempt to
halt years of Palestinian rocket attacks on southern Israel. The two
sides reached a cease-fire in January.