[Peace-discuss] Phony "progressive" group spreads lies

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Mar 2 09:59:51 CST 2009

The Democratic party cheerleading corps, MoveOn.org, seems to be named for the
police cover-up line, "Move along! Nothing happening here!"  They quote Nobel
economist Paul Krugman as praising what MoveOn (not Krugman) calls Obama's
"ambitious, amazing, and unapologetically progressive" budget as setting America
on a "fundamentally new course."

MoveOn omitted Krugman's proviso, "If he can get anything like the plan he
announced on Thursday through Congress." And they ignored  Krugman's point that
the "policy trends over the past 30 years" -- the neoliberal policies of Reagan,
Clinton, and the Bushes -- were so bad.

Krugman actually thinks that, given the present economic crisis, "policy-makers
just keep falling short — and the odds that this slump really will turn into
Great Depression II keep rising." And so we have "the spectacle of James Baker
[Reagan-Bush consigliere] attacking the Obama administration from the left" --
while MoveOn provides the right-wing boosterism.  --CGE

=========

	Paul Krugman
	March 2, 2009, 8:43 am
	Failing the test

It’s a depressing spectacle: on both sides of the Atlantic, policy-makers just
keep falling short — and the odds that this slump really will turn into Great
Depression II keep rising.

In Europe, leaders rejected pleas for a comprehensive rescue plan for troubled
East European economies, promising instead to provide “case-by-case” support.
That means a slow dribble of funds, with no chance of reversing the downward spiral.

Oh, and Jean-Claude Trichet says that there is no deflation threat in Europe.
What’s the weather like on his planet?

On this side of the Atlantic, Tim Geithner seems committed to the view that
banks should stay private even if they’re bankrupt, because — well, just
because. James Kwak is driven to exasperation:

     'To be blunt, it sounded like the “private is better” mantra we heard from
the Bush administration, and (to a slightly less extent) the Clinton
administration before them. Sure, most people agree you don’t want all
individual lending decisions being made by bureaucrats in Washington, but that’s
just a straw man. There are valid reasons to debate whether nationalization is
the best solution; in particular, if you were to take over Citigroup, even for a
short period of time, would that immediately weaken Bank of America so much that
you would be forced to take it over the next day? And what about JPMorgan Chase?
But that’s not what Geithner said. He said “private is better.”'

And so is the extremely moderate Tim Duy, over the insistence of policymakers
that the “true value” of assets is higher than anything the market is actually
willing to pay:

     'Policymakers are assuming that restoring proper functioning in credit
markets - and confidence in general - is equivalent to a housing price rebound.
They seem incapable of envisioning a world in which this is not the case. This
tunnel vision prevents policymakers of trying to devise policy which assumes
that the many of the assets in the banking system are simply “bad.” For Bernanke
and Geithner, there are no bad assets. Only misunderstood assets.'

And we have the spectacle of James Baker — James Baker! — attacking the Obama
administration from the left, calling for temporary nationalization of zombie
banks as part of the recapitalization process.

The sickening feeling of drift — the sense that policymakers are refusing to
face hard facts, and are dithering while the world economy burns — just keeps
getting stronger.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/02/failing-the-test/