[Peace-discuss] Anti-racism

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 05:58:25 CST 2009

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 5:49 AM, Marti Wilkinson <martiwilki at gmail.com>wrote:

The problem with being an advocate for social justice and empowerment is it
> may also end up inadvertently lend itself to what a professor of mine called
> "privileging the discourse" - For example if a person lives in Garden Hills
> or the Douglass Park neighborhood it can be problematic when anyone decides
> these are parts of the community in need of 'fixing'. One time I posted some
> concerns about plans in the Garden Hills area and some of the feedback I
> received was so condescending as to make me want to retch. On another
> occasion I was talking with a woman who attended the U of I and chose to
> wear a head scarf as a show of modesty, she said she found it offensive when
> people responded to her as some poor oppressed Muslim woman.
>
> My idea as to what it means to be empowered may not be the same as that of
> other individuals in this forum and that is perfectly fine. That being said
> I also think that part of advocating for social justice is being willing to
> deconstruct ones own privilege and taking a look at oneself. While I can't
> address Ricky's comments directly, there is a sentiment or tone that I can
> relate to - because there seems to be an effort to pontificate on, instead
> of really understanding a particular issue or subject matter. Furthermore,
> why should someone who has some privilege even attempt to 'speak for'
> marginalized groups?

I suppose because there's no one "correct" definition of "privilege" or
"marginalized".   So it seems to me that it's better for us to speak up for
one another - to speak up for ANYONE who is undergoing some sort of duress
in their lives - rather than for no one to speak up for anyone else for fear
of being "condescending".

That said, the problem I have is with people who are all talk and no
action.  No one here on this forum, of course....  :-)