[Peace-discuss] Libertarian/Anarchist

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 11 14:55:45 CDT 2009

Libertarians like Wayne (correct me if I'm wrong here, Wayne) are actually
promoting classical liberal democracy, which is scarcely radical, at least
not in the US.

Radical Libertarians, on the other hand, claim that any government is bad
government, so we should just get rid of the stuff. Nice idea, if you want
to live in a REAL nightmare.

Chomsky knows this, and is playing games with words and painting with too
broad a brush. But then his specialty IS language.

The connection of all of this with war? I think we're looking under the
wrong rock. Ask if there is a difference between an authoritarian state and
a large multi-national corporation, and the cause of war might be clearer.
Before we consider if government is or is not the problem, or if it even
makes sense to ask this question, we need a better handle on what can be
called a government.

Bob