[Peace-discuss] The Lobby strikes, again.

Brussel Morton K. mkbrussel at comcast.net
Wed Mar 11 17:32:04 CDT 2009

On Mar 11, 2009, at 2:23 PM, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

> Not because The Lobby would somehow take reprisals against him, but
> because
> Freeman's views included a critique of the US war policy in the
> Middle East,
> which Obama has fervently embraced. (indeed, he always had, even
> when he pretended not to.)

Obama appointed him!

> Of the Israeli government and the USG, which can force the other to
> do what it
> doesn't want to do?  The USG wins hands down.

"Force" is a funny word; I would use "influence".  This argument begs
(awkward phrasing) the question of often determining influence.

> "The debates over the influence of the lobby have to do with sorting
> out influences that mostly converge. The test is when U.S.
> government policies and the lobby conflict, as often happens. In
> that case, invariably, the lobby disappears, knowing better than to
> confront real power. That happened last summer, once again, in an
> important case: the lobby was intent on ramming through Congress a
> resolution calling for a virtual blockade of Iran, a very high
> priority for Israel. At first they rounded up Congressional support,
> enough to pass it, until the White House hinted quietly that it was
> opposed, not wanting to be dragged into a war with Iran. The measure
> (HR 362) was dropped; the lobby was silent -- not uncommonly."
>
> Similarly, "the Kyl-Lieberman amendment of September 2007, which all
> but declared war on Tehran," referred to in the piece below, had its
> teeth pulled before it passed -- notably by the removal of the
> passage that stated that "it should be the policy of the United
> States to combat, contain, and roll back the violent activities and
> destabilizing influence inside Iraq of the Government of the Islamic
> Republic of Iran, its foreign facilitators such as Lebanese
> Hezbollah, and its indigenous Iraqi proxies."  Also removed was a
> provision "to support the prudent and calibrated use of all
> instruments of United States national power in Iraq, including
> diplomatic, economic, intelligence, and military instruments" in
> support of the above.

Which show that he can pick and choose his examples. This too begs the
question.

> The USG was setting Iran policy, not the Lobby. One of the last acts
> of the Bush administration was to publicize the information that it
> had scotched any suggestion of an Israeli attack on Iran.  --

Yes, the LOBBY is not always successful, only too often successful in
steering U.S. policy.
--mkb