[Peace-discuss] Liberal culture wars

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 15 19:07:29 CDT 2009

Mort,

It's not just about issues, it's about an analysis of "what's wrong". An emphasis on Christian fundamentalism leads us away from the fundamental issues that really determine whether these policy changes really matter. Moreover, I'm not even sure that Obama represents a move away from Christian fundamentalism, and certainly not from moralism.

Rich writes: "The current Democratic president and his family are exemplars of precisely the Eisenhower-era squareness — albeit refurbished by feminism — that the Republicans often preached but rarely practiced. Obama actually walks the walk. As the former Bush speechwriter David Frum recently wrote, the new president is an “apparently devoted husband and father” whose worst vice is “an occasional cigarette.”"

So Democrats are the truly pious? So liberal feminists are going to be happy in their "refurbishing" role? Much can be said about the Carter/Clinton Democrat precedents for this sort of thing. So now we hear that Obama has five ministers, after dumping the one who had something interesting to say.

DG