[Peace-discuss] Military aid to Israel

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 17 01:47:39 CDT 2009

Carter says it isn't necessary because he knows perfectly well that all the USG
has to do is to let the Israeli government know it's serious, and the matter is
settled. (I gave some recent examples in an earlier post.)

The US has been able with ease to hold out against a world consensus in favor of
the obvious solution to the "Palestinian problem" -- two independent states --
because a truly independent Palestine serves neither its interests nor those of
its chief client.  The US has no desire for an independent Arab state
contributing to the resistance to US control of the Middle East; Israel wants
the resources of the West Bank without the people (although it likes to trumpet
the threat).

It's obviously difficult to predict our government's actions (in part because we
have so little control over them), but its guiding principles are consistent and
rational (in the Weberian sense of fitting means to ends -- those principles may
of course be quite vicious). Like the Bush administration, the Obama
administration wants to work out a form of government for the Palestinians --
call it a state if you wish -- that continues the Palestinians as second class
citizens in their land (something like American Indian reservations -- but not
to the level of dignity of the S. African bantustans).

The problem is to find a native jailer for the Palestinians.  The present US
candidate is Mahmoud Abbas, of Fatah, but the problem is to make his writ run in
the West Bank and Gaza -- the last US administration tried a coup -- where the
popular nationalist sentiment is led by the (democratically elected) Hamas.  The
US has to accomplish its traditional deterrence of democracy to effectuate its
policy.

But remember that the principle enunciated by a British PM in the 19th century
remains the guide for the USG today: "We have no eternal allies, and we have no
perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests
it is our duty to follow." Those interests are of course those of the dominant
social groups in the US, and in fact they conflict sharply with those of the US
majority, so resistance to the USG is not futile. --CGE