[Peace-discuss] Administration protecting bankers' bonuses

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Mar 18 21:12:19 CDT 2009

[The following prompts interesting reflections on the question of whose
interests are being served, in regard to the US government (and a fortiori the
Obama administration). --CGE]

	Dodd: Administration pushed for language protecting bonuses

(CNN) -- Senate Banking committee Chairman Christopher Dodd told CNN Wednesday
that he was responsible for language added to the federal stimulus bill to make
sure that already-existing contracts for bonuses at companies receiving federal
bailout money were honored.

Dodd acknowledged his role in the change after a Treasury Department official
told CNN the administration pushed for the language.

Both Dodd and the official, who asked not to be named, said it was because
administration officials were afraid the government would face numerous lawsuits
without the new language.

Dodd, a Democrat, told CNN's Dana Bash and Wolf Blitzer that Obama
administration officials pushed for the language to an amendment designed to
limit bonuses and "golden parachutes" at those companies.

"The administration had expressed reservations," Dodd said. "They asked for
modifications. The alternative was losing the amendment entirely."

On Tuesday, Dodd denied to CNN that he had anything to do with adding the
language, which has been used by officials at bailed-out insurance giant AIG to
justify paying millions of dollars in bonuses to executives after receiving
federal money.

He said Wednesday that the "grandfather clause" language "seemed like innocent
modifications" at the time.

"I agreed reluctantly," Dodd said. "I was changing the amendment because others
were insistent."

The White House did not immediately respond to CNN's request for comment.

Later, in a town hall meeting in Costa Mesa, California, Obama addressed the AIG
controversy, saying, "I'll take responsibilty. I'm the president.

"We didn't draft these contracts. But it is appropriate when you're in charge to
make sure stuff doesn't happen like this," he said. "So we're going to do
everything we can to fix it."

Wednesday on Capitol Hill, AIG chief executive Edward Liddy called the roughly
$165 million in bonuses "distasteful" but necessary because of legal obligations
and competition.

"We have to continue managing our business as a business -- taking account of
the cold realities of competition for customers, for revenues and for
employees," Liddy told a House Financial Services subcommittee. "Because of
this, and because of certain legal obligations, AIG has recently made a set of
compensation payments, some of which I find distasteful."

Pennsylvania Rep. Paul Kanjorski, the hearing's chairman, responded to Liddy's
statement by arguing that AIG should have refused to pay all the bonuses --
regardless of its contractual obligations with the bonus recipients.

"Let them sue us," said Kanjorski, a Democrat.

Liddy, who joined AIG after the bailout, said some employees have returned their
bonus money.

Senators and representatives have vowed to get the bonus money back, but
questions have arisen about why Congress didn't act to prevent the bonuses in
the first place.

"Well, the only lever we have in this is the fact that these corporations have
come to the Congress of the United States and want a taxpayers' bailout," Sen.
Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, said Wednesday on CNN's "American Morning."

"If it weren't for that, we would not have any leverage on how any individual
corporation is being run, and we don't pretend to have any leverage on any
corporation today in the United States that's not seeking federal help," said
Grassley, the top Republican on the Senate Finance Committee.

AIG, an ailing insurance giant, has received more than $170 billion in federal
assistance. Taxpayers now own nearly 80 percent of the company.

In a letter to Congress on Tuesday, New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo
confirmed that AIG paid 73 employees bonuses of more than $1 million each this
year after it received federal bailout money.

AIG will have to return the $165 million it paid in executive bonuses to the
Treasury Department, Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner said Tuesday.

Grassley and Sen. Max Baucus, D-Montana, on Tuesday introduced a plan that would
impose a hefty tax on retention bonuses paid to executives of companies that
received federal bailout money or in which the United States has an equity interest.

Other lawmakers, such as Rep. Charlie Rangel, D-New York, said it would be
unfair to use the tax code as punishment, but Grassley said it's not a question
of being fair.

"It's unfair what they did to the taxpayers by paying bonuses when they don't
have the money to pay bonuses," he said

Rep. Barney Frank, D-Massachusetts, said Wednesday that Congress can't just pass
a law to abrogate any past contracts because that move would not hold up in
court. Instead, he argued the executives don't deserve bonuses under the contract.

"We own this company in effect, and we're not asking that these bonuses be
rescinded because we have lent money to the company. I believe we are saying as
the owners of the company, we do not think ... we should have paid bonuses to
people who made mistakes who were incompetent," said Frank, chairman of the
House Financial Services Committee.

<http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/18/aig.bonuses.congress/index.html>