[Peace-discuss] Populist rage

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 23 12:34:37 CDT 2009

Mort, my reason for focusing on Rich, accurate or otherwise, is that he is viewed as on the progressive end of the liberal spectrum; as opposed to Thomas Friedman, who I think reveals himself more clearly as a fool, even to liberals. I suspect that many of the most influential liberals in the country think that Rich is gold (no pun intended), a master of urbane outrage (but not populist outrage) when necessary. I think that matters in terms of the efforts of those liberal elites who don't want to address structural issues by, for example, nationalizing the banks, to focus on malfeasance. Rich has a distinct role to play in establishing the limits of allowable debate, which include trivializing and disparaging "populism." If he didn't write for the NYT, which liberals read to reassure themselves that liberalism still represents what the historian Eric Goldmann called a "rendez-vous with destiny" (the first book I ever read in college), then I wouldn't
 pick on him, except perhaps just to be annoying. Krugman violates those limits to a certain extent, but in the spirit of FDR rather than a more fundamental critique of capitalism. In spite of all the rhetoric during the campaign and since, Obama and his aides are terrified of FDR.