[Peace-discuss] Fw: CCHCC Annual Dinner & Adbook -- AWARE

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 26 21:39:18 CDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at illinois.edu>
To: "Randall Cotton" <recotton at earthlink.net>
Cc: <peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Fw: CCHCC Annual Dinner & Adbook -- AWARE

: CCHCC seems to do good work in pressing for medical care -- sadly made
necessary
: by the shameful record of Democrats: the administration doesn't even
back single
: payer -- it supports insurance companies instead, just as previous
: administrations have done.
:
: If you followed the thread on abortion on peace-discuss some time ago,
you know
: that there are some of us who think (as Feminists for Life put it) that
abortion
: is violence against women -- "women deserve better than abortion."  FFL
: <www.feministsforlife.org> says that women should "refuse to choose";
abortion
: is proposed as a solution to social and economic problems.
:
: I'm against things that impoverish and end human life -- war and
capitalism --
: and abortion does that. I would oppose supporting organizations that
support it.

How does CCHCC support abortion?

: OTOH one might argue that supporting CCHCC is a bit far from AWARE's
purpose.
: The vigorous anti-war movement that existed at the beginning of the
decade has
: been erased by the workings of US politics.  It would seem important for
us to
: recognize how that was done. It's been a commonplace since Tom Frank's
"What's
: the Matter with Kansas?" that distraction and diversion has been a large
part of
: it.  The abortion issue has added to the distraction. --CGE

CCHCC is also pressing hard for the full remediation of the toxic site of
the old coal gasification plant that has contaminated the area around 5th
and Hill St., a poor, predominantly black area of town. I would argue that
the long-standing toxic contamination is, in good part, a victimization
based on race. And we are the Anti-War *Anti-Racism* Effort.

On the other hand, there are always tradeoffs in where we expend our
efforts and funds. Do we spend funds to oppose and increase awareness
about how our tax dollars are going toward killing women and children in
Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Palestine or direct them to help right a
racist wrong to improve the health (and possibly the lifespan) of
victimized people in our local community.

Not an easy question to weigh.

: Randall Cotton wrote:
: > AWAREista's, please take note and think this over - I plan to bring
this up
: > for consideration at Sunday's meeting, since we've done it in the
(admittedly
: > distant) past. R
: >
: > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Claudia Lennhoff"
<claudia at shout.net> To:
: > <recotton at earthlink.net> Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:08 AM
Subject:
: > CCHCC Annual Dinner & Adbook -- AWARE
: >
: >
: > : Hi Randall, : : This is Claudia Lennhoff from Champaign County
Health Care
: > Consumers. : I hope you're doing well. : : I wanted to check in with
you
: > about the possibility of AWARE taking : an ad in this year's CCHCC
Dinner
: > Adbook Program. AWARE has taken ads : in the past, but this year, we
were
: > trying to contact Jan Kruse and : we couldn't get hold of her, and
then
: > someone told me that she is no : longer the Treasurer for AWARE, so
that's
: > why I'm reaching out to you. : : If I need to be in touch with someone
else,
: > please feel free to : direct me that way. Otherwise, if you can let me
know
: > if y'all would : be willing to take an ad, that would be great. : :
Thanks
: > and take care. : Claudia : ***************** : : : Dear Friend, : : I
wanted
: > to let you know that CCHCC's Annual Awards Dinner is : scheduled for
Friday,
: > April 17, 2009 at the Hawthorn Suites in : Champaign. I hope you will
: > consider purchasing/donating a table, and : taking out an ad in our
Adbook
: > Program for the Dinner.  Below is : information on the Dinner and the
Adbook.
: >  : : DINNER: : - Dinner tickets are $40 each. : - A table of 8 is
$280. : - A
: > table of 10 is $340. : : If you would like to purchase or contribute a
table,
: > you can reply to : me and let me know. Organizations that contribute
tables
: > are thanked : in the Adbook Program, as well as in the introduction to
the
: > dinner, : and all tables that are contributed are honorary tables and
have a
: > : sign on them listing the donor (for example, The Mary Louise White :
Table,
: > by CONTRIBUTOR). : : ADBOOK: : Also, as part of the Annual Dinner
: > celebration, we will be producing : CCHCC's Program Guide, or Adbook.
Since
: > our first Awards Dinner in : 1977, the Adbook has been an excellent
: > opportunity for local : businesses and organizations to connect
directly to
: > CCHCC supporters. : : We distribute the Adbook at the Awards Dinner
and at
: > other membership : events throughout the year.  We also recognize
: > participating : businesses, organizations and individuals in our
newsletter
: > that goes : out to over 7,000 members, and on our website. : : Ad
prices are
: > as follows: : -- Gold page: (4.5w x 7.25h):         $400 : -- Full
page:
: > (4.5w x 7.25h):         $175 : -- Half page: (4.5w x 3.5h):
$110 : --
: > Quarter page: (2.25w x 3.5h):       $65 : : Creating the Ad: : You are
free
: > to create the ad yourself and send it to us. It should : be at least
300 dpi
: > resolution and saved as a .tiff file. You can : email it to me. : : If
you do
: > not want to make the ad yourself, we are more than willing : to create
one
: > for you. All you have to do is send me any text or : images you'd like
in the
: > ad and we'll send you a proof for your : approval. : : Paying for the
Ad: :
: > You can mail a check to our office made out to "CCHCC" (see address
below). :
: > Or you can pay online via PayPal here: :
: > http://www.healthcareconsumers.org/index.php?action=Display%20Store :
: Then
: > select the size ad that you would like. Layout and submission :
instructions
: > are detailed on the webpage where you select the size ad : you want. :
:
: > Please let me know if you would like to reserve an ad. : : If you have
any
: > questions or need more information, please feel free : to contact me.
: :
: > Thank you for your support! : : Sincerely, : : Claudia : : -- :
Executive
: > Director : Champaign County Health Care Consumers : 44 E. Main Street,
Suite
: > 208 : Champaign, IL 61820 : : Phone: 217/352-6533, ext. 11 : Fax:
: > 217/352-9745 : E-Mail: claudia at shout.net : : Web:
www.healthcareconsumers.org
: Peace-discuss mailing list
: Peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net